Dual Citizen Question?

Hello!

I am now a dual citizen - born UK/Aussie from 2004.

I have been here for over 10 years now but plan on returning to the UK for a while due to personal changes here and to be closer to my family back home while I sort stuff out. Just need to give it a shot to see how it pans out.

Stupid question but I will buy a 'one way' ticket so there is no pressure to return by a set date and now I am a dual citizen, which passport do I use to book my one way ticket under?

I usually depart Australia on my Australian passport, then enter UK on my UK passport. Last year I went home for a holiday, I had a return ticket (booked with Aussie passport) and when I left the UK I thought I was supposed to exit on UK passport but was told I needed to exit on Aussie one and it caused bit of confusion at check in. I seem to get conflicting advice.

Anyone know?

Thank you!

Gilouca

Thank you! Yes, that is what I feel is right. At least I can present them with both if any questions :o) Last year was the first time I actually used both passports so maybe it just takes time to get used to the process.

Always exit and enter the country with same passport. Ie exit and enter Australia with your Australian passport, and exit and enter UK with UK passport.

This is certainly law in Australia, not sure about UK, but if you entered UK on Australian passport they would stamp your passport with only 6 months validity and may lead to problems later.

If you are only booking a one way ticket then returning from the UK won't be an issue as you'll use your UK passport to depart UK and show it so it matches your ticket. And Aus one then to re enter Aus.

Enter the UK on your UK passport also as has been said. If you enter on your Aus one you only get a limited time in the UK.

Just to add to the above, if you hold both passports I would do as my post above.

It can be a bit expensive to maintain having 2 valid passports and if my UK passport had expired I might consider going back as a tourist for a holiday just using the Australian passport. I think even if you show customs in UK an expired UK passport they still let you in anyway, as you have proof you are a british citizen. They can't deny a british citizen access even if your passport is expired.

Anyway it sounds like you have both so take both with you.

Yes would take both anyway. If I was going on a return trip for less than 6 months I would use Aussie one alone (have done this before as easier)

Last year when I used them both for the first time I:

Exited Australia on Australian one

Entered UK on UK one

Exited UK on UK one BUT check-in woman asked for my Australian passport because I was returning to Australia and my ticket was in that one - this is what confused me as I thought I had to enter/exit on same one i.e. in this case UK one!

Entered Australia on Australian one

I am sure there is confusion with dual nationality all the time and perhaps it is easier to present both!

Guest wairoa

The reason why the UK Checkin want to see your AUS Passport is because they need to verify if you are allowed to enter Australia. your UK passport has no Australian Visa linked to it, so it's no good for the airline. Don't confuse the airline with customs. These are two different things.

Yes would take both anyway. If I was going on a return trip for less than 6 months I would use Aussie one alone (have done this before as easier)

Last year when I used them both for the first time I:

Exited Australia on Australian one

Entered UK on UK one

Exited UK on UK one BUT check-in woman asked for my Australian passport because I was returning to Australia and my ticket was in that one - this is what confused me as I thought I had to enter/exit on same one i.e. in this case UK one!

Entered Australia on Australian one

I am sure there is confusion with dual nationality all the time and perhaps it is easier to present both!

You HAVE to show your OZ passport to leave the UK on your return to Australia, just to prove you have the right to enter Australia on arrival, or the airline can refuse you boarding the flight, it will be their expense to return flight you back to the UK if your refused entry into Australia by either not having a visa or a passport.

Guest notsureaboutoz

I had the same when i went to oz back in feb- exit the uk the using the uk passport and into oz with your ozzy one and vice versa

The woman working the check in counter looked confused as heck when i showed both passports to her though!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I am travelling back to the UK in December, one way, my 3 children have dual citizenship however 2 of their passports expire in October. So is it OK for them to fly all the way back to the UK on their Oz passports and use their expired passports to enter UK? I dont want to fork out $400+ here to renew their passports when I can do it for 100 pounds back home.