Back to Blighty

Guest roca

Hi Guys

Apologies if any of this has been asked before but here goes...

My situation:

Living in Perth - been here 10 years

I am a UK national, my wife, 17 year old step daughter and 8 year old daughter are all Ozzie.

We have sold our Perth house - settles shortly.

Looking at the UK visa forms as the sponsor I need to state / show where we will live.

It's a bit of a catch 22 as how can I rent a place in the UK if I am still here supporting my family and if all goes to plan would not be moving until approx November this year?

We could buy a place now in the UK on spec - but what happens if the visa application fails? We are stuck over here with a house in the UK.

We can't move in with me mum as she doesn't have the room for another 4 of us (plus a dog)

Surely if you have substantial money in the bank then this should be enough and once the visa is in place a rental can be sourced?

Has anyone been in this situation?

Cheers

Guest truebeliver

hi roca, i cant really speak from experience as never been to oz and come back....however i do private rent in the uk and have done for many years and there have been people on here whove been through it and say theres a lot involved in securing a rental but i would say get on the internet search the area your interested in and get in touch with the agents they want the property rented out just as much as you want to be in it!!! and as your in a good financial position i cant see why you would have a problem try not to worry too much as you will not have a problem finding and securing a rental.... gud luk :)

Guest truebeliver

ps my 20 yr old sister has secured a rental this week she has no job, but because shes got the bond and a months rent in advance thats good enough for them..... im sure as your coming back from oz you probablly will have to show things like passports, visas ect maybe even a few months rent up front but aside from the money its just paperwork! with regards to securing a rental you will not have a problem

I'd phone and ask them - whichever department you are getting these forms from. Explain your situation and ask if you can use your Mum's address temporarily for the purpose of visa application - that is if you do intend living in the same vicinity as your mother. If that's not possible, do you have a friend in the area you want to live who would agree to support your address issue? I would try and sort this out before doing anything else. If you do not get the assistance you need then ask for an appointment with someone higher up like a departmental manager or supervisor. You have to do the visa's first and make sure that the paperwork is in order before comitting to a rental property sight unseen which is a very risky thing to do.

You need to show you have somewhere to live when you get there. Im not sure if having the money to pay for it is good enough for the UKBA

We have used my sister's address, as we will be staying with them initially. You have to show the address has enough room for you all and the person either owns the property or has permission from the landlord for you to live there.

We had to get a letter from my sister & her husband to say we could stay with them, and include a copy of the land registry details to show they own the house.

If you have a relative that theoretically has the room for you to stay (there are some guidelines on the UKBA website to show how many rooms are considered enough) and would be prepared to provide their details for the UKBA then that would probably be ok.

If you have substantial money in the bank, then I think they are a bit less likely to be concerned (in some cases they ask for further evidence of accommodation availability and size, ownership etc but if everything else on your application stacks up it probably wouldn't apply, they are just trying to stop 30 people living in a one bedroomed flat)

Not sure if you have seen this but it explains it a bit

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/guidance/ecg/maa/#header6 though to be honest we found the UKBA website very contradictory at times and the information all over the place and hard to find.

Hope that's of some help.

Thanks very much for all the replies.

I think I have a way forward by using my friends rental property in the UK. If visa's are accepted we will find a place exactly where we want to be and rent there - followed shortly after by buying a place of our own.