Travel insurance and moving back to UK

mrchris76

EDIT: I went with Downunder Insurance (http://www.duinsure.com.au) in the end, they offer a non-resident outbound travel insurance policy which was exactly what I needed. Not the cheapest but then it is pretty much comprehensive and not a budget policy.

Hi All,

Myself and my wife are moving back to the UK after 3 fantastic years in Sydney.

I have a travel insurance related question I am hoping someone may be able to help out with, we are doing some travel on the way back via Canada instead of heading directly home. I have been looking to get some travel insurance but the UK based ones require the policy holder to have lived in the UK for the previous 6 months (the ones I have seen so far anyway). The alternative is to use an Australian based insurer but I'm wondering if there would be a problem in the event of a claim, seeing as our 457 visa would have been cancelled after departing Australia.

Others must have faced this I would have thought, any advice or suggested insurers either in the UK or Australia we could try?

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by mrchris76

Have you called any Aus companies to discuss? If they have the same policy as the UK, ie, live in Aus for 6 months beforehand then I can't see the problem. But you'd probably be better off speaking to someone within the company and finding out exactly as insurance policies can vary and there is always lots of small print.

Have you called any Aus companies to discuss? If they have the same policy as the UK, ie, live in Aus for 6 months beforehand then I can't see the problem. But you'd probably be better off speaking to someone within the company and finding out exactly as insurance policies can vary and there is always lots of small print.

Yes, called a number of companies already. Unfortunately only one so far offers what I need (just a bit pricey!). Turns out what I am looking for is called "non-resident one way outbound travel insurance". Not a lot of choice it seems. Most require journey to either start and finish in Australia or that I am an Australian resident, which I won't be soon as my 457 is cancelled leaving the country.

I'll keep looking and calling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I am an Australian citizen, returning to the UK to live in December. I've been looking at insurance sites & not sure what I actual policy I need. I'm confused when it comes to resident & non resident! I am a resident here at the moment, but will no longer be when I leave, so does that mean I can get a policy based on being a non resident of Australia?

I'll be grateful for any advice, or maybe I should just ring an insurance company. This site is so helpful, I thought I would try for help here 1st.

Canyou explain what you want the insurance cover for, anyway? If it's just for the flight, then Australia's not going to declare you non-resident the minute you step on to the plane are they? And once you're back in the UK, you just go back to living your normal life (which you wouldn't normally have travel insurance for). What am I missing?

I wanted insurance cover, for flight cancellations, illness on the way, etc, usual precautionary stuff! I suppose I don't declare I'm not returning to Australia until I fill out the landing card. So I can just get a normal basic cover plan, just for my peace of mind. Thanks anyway for the reply.

If you're on a 457 you're not considered as resident in Australia by most insurance companies. I've used insure4less before, they were great and covered me when I was 28 weeks pregnant too.

Another flexible company for future reference is World Nomads. The forum Horizons Unlimited also has useful suggestions.