Documentation and records Scanning?

Guest readingsteve

Guest readingsteve

We're planning to move to Queensland at the end of December, so we are in the process of "de-cluttering" and getting rid of our tons of excess "stuff" that has accumulated over the years.

One of the categories of said "stuff" is a filing cabinet full of all the bills, statements etc. that arrive in the course of living in UK

I am wondering WHICH of these I should bring with us to Oz? Also, I have a neat scanner and was wondering about scanning lots of the bills and getting rid of the originals. Does anyone have any experience as to whether this will be acceptable to any Oz agencies etc?

We already have a bank account set up at ANZ, so that's one layer of correspondence that we won't have to worry about. And we already have Medicare cards, having been in Oz on holiday. Can anyone give me some guidelines as to what other official documentation we are likely to need?

Finally, I am assuming that 5 years worth of records ought to be sufficient for most purposes. Does this sound sensible? I know we had to prove a longer paper trail when I applied for my spouse visa, but with that and Permanent Residency in hand, is anyone ever likely to ask for bank statements etc. going back beyond 5 years?

Obviously we will retain things like birth and marriage certificates - I am talking mainly about the other sorts of paperwork above.

Would really value some insight / personal experiences please.

Archived