My pal is returning to Oz (he's an Ozzie) but not sure about this?

Bristol Chris

Him and his wife (who is Welsh) are returning to Sydney. Well, he's returning andshe's moving there. They have two kids aged 1 and 3. He is from Sydney but has lived out of Ozzieland for almost 11 years. They don't have jobs to go to yet, (I konw) and he was wondering if he would be entitled to any child benefits initially? I told him to phone the department invovled!

He said that because he has lived out of Oz for 11 years he may have to wait for two years before he may be due any child benefits, if he is at all. Does anyone konw?

Yes they would get full child benefits and he may be entitled to unemployment benefits till he gets a job.

Ahh ok thanks Perthbum. He hasn't ever had dealigns with benefits before so wasn't sure. He said he read that because he's been away so long that they may make him wait as he doesn't live there and hasn't lived there for 11 years?

Ahh ok thanks Perthbum. He hasn't ever had dealigns with benefits before so wasn't sure. He said he read that because he's been away so long that they may make him wait as he doesn't live there and hasn't lived there for 11 years?

No waiting period for the child related benefits (family tax benefit and child care benefit) for PR migrants and therefore no waiting period for your friend and his family.

Ok thanks mate. I'll pass it on. NOt sure why he hasnt' just rung them himself to be honest.

I'm not sure where he got the residency two year wait thing from, perhaps thats for a different benefit. As I said, he hasn't dealt with benefits before so may be barking up the wrong tree, woof ! ;-)

In relation to: family tax benefit and child care benefit.

Just wondering, as a parents of three kids (6,4,3 years) what are the benefits one (we'd be on a PR Visa) can expect?

Over here in Ireland, it's a flat rate of 430.00 euro (602.00 AUD equiv.) (cumulatively payment for all three) per month. This is not means tested.

B

Ok thanks mate. I'll pass it on. NOt sure why he hasnt' just rung them himself to be honest.

I'm not sure where he got the residency two year wait thing from, perhaps thats for a different benefit. As I said, he hasn't dealt with benefits before so may be barking up the wrong tree, woof ! ;-)

The two year wait I understand is for those who are not PR on return, hence he may have seen this while doing his wifes application.

Good to hear as we move to Melbourne in October and my partner has also had 11 years out of Oz! (I am in the process of applying for residency).

In relation to: family tax benefit and child care benefit.

Just wondering, as a parents of three kids (6,4,3 years) what are the benefits one (we'd be on a PR Visa) can expect?

Over here in Ireland, it's a flat rate of 430.00 euro (602.00 AUD equiv.) (cumulatively payment for all three) per month. This is not means tested.

B

No flat rate in Australia. It's all income related and fiendishly complicated - depending on not just the family income but the income of the higher earner and the income of the lower earner all causing the amount paid to reduce if they go over certain thresholds.

No flat rate in Australia. It's all income related and fiendishly complicated - depending on not just the family income but the income of the higher earner and the income of the lower earner all causing the amount paid to reduce if they go over certain thresholds.

Do you know if they take international income into consideration? (i.e - Income I will carry on earning in the UK and respectively paying UK tax on and likewise a wage the business pays my partner and pays UK tax on). This will be while I reside in Oz and I return to the UK 2x a year for the business.

Do you know if they take international income into consideration? (i.e - Income I will carry on earning in the UK and respectively paying UK tax on and likewise a wage the business pays my partner and pays UK tax on). This will be while I reside in Oz and I return to the UK 2x a year for the business.

Yes they do. As a PR you have to declare your overseas income on your tax return and it is your taxable income on there that is used to calculate what you should have been paid through the year. If you were paid too much you would have to pay back the overpayment and if you were paid too little you would get an extra payment. Far better to over estimate your income for benefit claiming purposes.

Yes they do. As a PR you have to declare your overseas income on your tax return and it is your taxable income on there that is used to calculate what you should have been paid through the year. If you were paid too much you would have to pay back the overpayment and if you were paid too little you would get an extra payment. Far better to over estimate your income for benefit claiming purposes.

In addition to that you are required to disclose to Centrelink overseas income that is exempted from being shown on your tax return and they'll add that to your taxable income (and add your fringe benefits) to assess against the relevant thresholds.

Edited by Ken