TRAVEL INSURANCE- emigration insurance or normal travel insurance?

marie

Hi,

We are emigrating to aus next month and im still a little unsure what to do with travel insurance.

Basically stopping at Dubai for 3 days on the way.

As soon as you look at Emigration insurance/or one way the price is about 10 times the amount.

looks like at least £130 for a couple (and you still have to put dates to and from so I just put 2 weeks as once in oz we will be covered by medicare.

And only looking at £25 for normal travel insurance. Has anyone had experience with this. Is emigration insurance absolutely nessassary..

should anything ever happen I need to make sure I have the right insurance. once I arrive in aus (I am Australian.partner on skills visa all should be medicare I presssme)

I would never travel anywhere, one way or return, without travel insurance. People do though and it's entirely up to you whether you are prepared to take the risk that something could happen between taking off from the UK and landing in Australia. I would get quotes again only this time just put in the dates you will actually be travelling. 130 GPB is not really that much when compared with the alternative if something goes wrong. Remember travel insurance doesn't just cover medical care but will also provide assistance in the event of other emergencies (a stolen bag/wallet for instance).

No, normal insurance wouldn't be ok. The terms and conditions of 'standard' holiday insurance state your trip must start and end in the UK. It will be invalid if used for the purpose of a one way trip.

Havent you just answered your own question? Normal insurance is not valid so emigration / one way is the only option you have from what you have said