Fraudulent transaction on my card - how did it happen?

gloucester girl

I went to the Macquarie shopping centre in north Sydney on a saturday. Went shopping in H and M, bought a small bite to eat for me and my daughter, which cost 10 dollars at the kebab shop. All paid on card by paywave. A few weeks later while mucking about with the NAB budget planner (surprisingly good fun to categorise your expenses - or is that just me?), I noticed that 30 dollars had left my account and I had supposedly spent it in a chinese dumpling place on the following sunday. So I went to the bank, reported it, they queried it and I got the 30 dollars back. I haven't managed to speak to the bank because the department that deals with is only open till 5.30 on weekdays and I am busy working/collecting my daughter/in traffic and always forget when I do have 5 mintues free.

Does anyone know how this happened? I do remember walking into a chinese place and then walking out because it was too expensive. Also the bank cashier suggested that the two cafes could be owned by the same people. Thanks.

Luckily I have Overseas transactions blocked on our Credit cards and also a limit within Australia, just the other week I had an email from the CBA saying that someone tried to charge my credit card $6000 but was blocked. I have no idea how anyone from overseas got hold of my number, CBA issued me with new cards straight away, so no loss to either us or the bank.

Mike

Guest The Pom Queen

Sometimes you may find the company name is different to the place you visited. My son likes Noodle Box, but it always comes up with FGH Fruit and Veg on our statements.

I have a UK HSBC credit card that I basically never use. Last year someone made a cash withdrawal from a machine in South Korea. Somewhere I've never been and the card never left my wallet. IMO that had to be some sort of internal fraud.

I seem to recall reading that the paypass/paywave can be read by someone scanning your card through your wallet while it's in your pocket. Not sure if that's true or not, but wouldn't surprise me.

What's happened a lot here is that machines will have a second reader on them and someone will watch you enter your pin. They can then duplicate it. Although since we've gone to chip & pin I suspect it's harder to duplicate.

That said, whenever I use my pin I cover it up so there's no way anyone can see it as I enter it. I am often at a cash register where the people in front of me enter their number for the world to see.

Also there are organisations harvesting credit card data (from online, physical copies or skimming pay wave cards) which are then sold on. It may be months later before the fraudulent transactions appear.

Even major online retailers have had their systems hacked. We use credit card for most transactions (we are points collectors) and have had several fraudulent transactions over the years, always resolved quickly by the credit card companies. The credit card companies swallow this cost, but essentially we are paying for it as for every transaction that you make 2% of the cost goes to them.

I would guess fraud. Commonwealth bank detected fraud on my current account card here in Brisbane. A payment of circa 50c was made to an Australuan based company who accordingly are a cover. The 50c is a test to see if it is detected followed by much larger withdrawals a few weeks later.

Commonwealth certainly seemed to be on the ball with replacement card issued in a couple of days and no issues since.

S

I'd guess fraud too. My son used to use a card on my account for buying petrol and supplies and fortunately he had stopped using it for several months because a transaction from one of his regular petrol stations stuck out like a sore thumb when he had been nowhere near the place! Heavens knows whether they had stung him before and just thought it was time for another go! I'm always suspicious!

I have a UK HSBC credit card that I basically never use. Last year someone made a cash withdrawal from a machine in South Korea. Somewhere I've never been and the card never left my wallet. IMO that had to be some sort of internal fraud.

I seem to recall reading that the paypass/paywave can be read by someone scanning your card through your wallet while it's in your pocket. Not sure if that's true or not, but wouldn't surprise me.

What's happened a lot here is that machines will have a second reader on them and someone will watch you enter your pin. They can then duplicate it. Although since we've gone to chip & pin I suspect it's harder to duplicate.

That said, whenever I use my pin I cover it up so there's no way anyone can see it as I enter it. I am often at a cash register where the people in front of me enter their number for the world to see.

Yes, it is quite possible for people to scan your card in your pocket. I was at the shops the other day and whilst getting my debit card out of my purse, the machine scanned (at some distance) my credit card instead, which had not been removed from my purse. The cashier said it happens a lot.

I went to the Macquarie shopping centre in north Sydney on a saturday. Went shopping in H and M, bought a small bite to eat for me and my daughter, which cost 10 dollars at the kebab shop. All paid on card by paywave. A few weeks later while mucking about with the NAB budget planner (surprisingly good fun to categorise your expenses - or is that just me?), I noticed that 30 dollars had left my account and I had supposedly spent it in a chinese dumpling place on the following sunday. So I went to the bank, reported it, they queried it and I got the 30 dollars back. I haven't managed to speak to the bank because the department that deals with is only open till 5.30 on weekdays and I am busy working/collecting my daughter/in traffic and always forget when I do have 5 mintues free.

Does anyone know how this happened? I do remember walking into a chinese place and then walking out because it was too expensive. Also the bank cashier suggested that the two cafes could be owned by the same people. Thanks.

Heres how it works .....with the contactless cards .

They can be scanned while they are in your pocket or wallet .

The perbatrator will then make a small transaction to check the card is live ..

Lets Sa for oz 1 dollar .

Something you wont immediately miss ...your card is recognised as live ...BANG ..the big withdrawls start .

My mate in Devon had his card hacked ....£1 ...£9000....13000...THE BANK DIDNT TELL HIM ....it was only when his card was declined at the petrol station that he found out £30000 in all from his business card.

He was re imbursed ..then it happened again .

GET YOURSELF A METAL WALLET FROM AMAZON OR EBAY TO HOLD YOUR CARDS..

People are hacking into your online shopping accounts and these details are passed around for pennies

BE VIGILANT

I had a couple of thousand dollars taken out of my account in Canada. I didn't know about it until the bank called and asked had I been in Canada. Turns out the Russians who ran the servo/lunch shop next to my work had been skimming the info off cards of thousands of customers. That explained why the shop had closed down a week prior and the Russians had done a runner and as far as I know they got away with it. Clever bastards those Russians.

It happened to me too. I checked my bank account and it had been cleared out by an atm withdrawl about an hour away from where I was at the exact time. I tried to figure out where it could have been skimmed, because they would have needed to get my pin number too. The man at the bank said that it could have happened months ago and they only just decided to use it. Luckily I got the money back from the bank.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I wonder too. When using contactless you can only make a small number of transactions before you are asked to put your pin in. This is for the obvious reason that the card could fall into the wrong hands. As for credit cards, the UK do not issue contactless on these at present, just debit cards. Of course, if you have all the details of the card it is possible to spend big on the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...

This is australia and you can make payments of up to 100 dollars with paywave. Also I have never been asked to use the pin number with paywave ever. It sounds like the uk is alot tighter regarding security and paywave than australia. I guess I will never know, but I certainly check all my statements now - both online and paper.