Selling Santander shares

Andy B

Can anyone advise the best/easiest way to sell Santander shares from OZ. We moved here 12 years ago and had some free shares from the Alliance and Leicester sell- off which became Banco Santander. We now want to sell them but have been told by Santander that we cant as we are not Uk residents . They say the only way is to transfer them to someone in the UK which is a very lengthy process and get that person to sell them for us and send us the proceeds.Has anyone else been in the same situation and maybe found an easier way?

I'm assuming you're referring to some scheme whereby Santander offer a commission free sale to UK residents? You don't need the permission of the company to sell their shares. Any stockbroker will be happy to help (but for a fee).

Thanks for the reply Ken. When I contacted Santander they said there was a fee of GBP 12 to sell and that because we are outside the EU we cant sell without a EU address. The shares are not worth much and I just want to offload them but will try your suggestion and find an Aussie stockbroker and see what they say.

• 9 months later...