Anybody Recommend a good Australian Bank

Scotty1981

I am with NAB as we did the Moneycorp/NAB link up when moving our money over. That all worked really well and setting up the account and transferring money over was a breeze.

NAB made a right mess of organising our bank cards though which was a real pain when we first arrived.

In the UK we bank with First Direct who in my view set the gold standard for personal banking. As a result though I had not visited a bank branch for years until I came here. If you love queuing to see someone then NAB is fine too as the staff have always been very friendly and helpful.

We haven't had any issues since. I suspect they are all much the same here judging by what I hear.

Guest The Pom Queen

Agree with NAB, your cards will be waiting for you on arrival, rather than having to wait five working days for them in the post. Also if you use Moneycorp there are no receiving fees when you move money from Moneycorp to NAB

The big 4, WANC are all ok

Maybe look at changing to one of the smaller credit unions once you are on your feet and looking at linking mortgages to credit cards to everyday banking accounts.

Its taken six years since coming back, but im finally looking at moving everything from westpac, who ive been with since i was 15, to the teachers credit union, due to the packages they can offer.

ING direct. Don't pay for any ATM and money back on contact less purchases (2%) easily the best unless you like going into branches. Also awesome mobile App.

Also home loan rate is way more competitive than big 4

I'm with CBA (tried to go with ING but they was a reason I couldn't - can't remember it now). Had no problems opening the account and picking up debit card. They also kindly approved my credit card application a few months after arriving, with a pretty good credit limit. The online banking (+app) is pretty good but they are not amazingly helpful in branch. Availability of ATMs is always good as well.

Looks like any bank will do then, however if you are already with the HSBC in the UK then maybe easier to open an HSBC with them here in Aus from the UK, doing this may also help in transferring your credit history for mortgage and credit cards here with them, and then look at changing banks once you have settled and sussed the field out!

Looks like any bank will do then, however if you are already with the HSBC in the UK then maybe easier to open an HSBC with them here in Aus from the UK, doing this may also help in transferring your credit history for mortgage and credit cards here with them, and then look at changing banks once you have settled and sussed the field out!

I tried to do that a few years ago and was told that they are different entities, and no connections could be made between the two.

It may have changed though

I tried to do that a few years ago and was told that they are different entities, and no connections could be made between the two.

It may have changed though

About 18 months ago enquired regarding maybe buying a (ready for) retirement place in UK and having a small mortgage to be able to do so, I still have my UK HSBC account but no longer have my Aus account, but I would have had to basically open and change all my Aus banking over to HSBC so they can see & assess my financial standing and they can then link accounts across the world.

I would add that I closed my Aus HSBC account due to the ltd number of branch's and fee free atm' at the time, I think that still applies but the growth of internet banking and cash back at supermarkets negates that problem these days.

Find out where you will be working, and pick the one closest to the office.

Any of the "big 4" is fine.

Why do you need the closest one though? Can do everything easily online/phone these days. ING is better as you can use any ATM and BankWest can use all of the big 4 I think.

Why do you need the closest one though? Can do everything easily online/phone these days. ING is better as you can use any ATM and BankWest can use all of the big 4 I think.

Because I've needed to go in and :-

Change my Business savings account

Remortgage a house

Open a joint account

Change my household insurance type

Closing 3 personal accounts and a credit card, and then re-opening 2 accounts

All required signatures and speaking to an actual person. All were done immediately and didn't require me waiting for email/post and returning forms.

Having one close means you can pop in at lunch and get stuff done.

Because I've needed to go in and :-

Change my Business savings account

Remortgage a house

Open a joint account

Change my household insurance type

Closing 3 personal accounts and a credit card, and then re-opening 2 accounts

All required signatures and speaking to an actual person. All were done immediately and didn't require me waiting for email/post and returning forms.

Having one close means you can pop in at lunch and get stuff done.

Fair enough I'd rather do all this online. ANZ made me go down their branch for credit card, was a right pain and an annoying wait around. Citibank on the other hand was painless. ING I found painless for home loan and a much better rate too.

Fair enough I'd rather do all this online. ANZ made me go down their branch for credit card, was a right pain and an annoying wait around.

Strangely, I work in IT, and I'd rather speak to someone.

I've booked appointments via email, and then just walked in.