Moving Money from Aus to UK

pm04sss

My wife and I are slowly setting up to going to Aus for the next 3 years in a few months. We'll both be working out there full time in a company that is supporting us to come over and 'try it' with a view to considering living there permanently. I'm just trying to figure out some of the nitty-gritty if we stay or decide to come back. If we do come back to the UK 3 years later and we will have amassed a good amount of savings - would we be liable to pay tax on it if we come back to the UK?

ie. If we put worked and saved $50,000 (max) / year for three years (post tax of course) and then moved the money back over with us would it be classed as an income, a capital gain or will we need to pay some form of tax on it?

Thanks for any help!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @pm04ss

Sorry we missed your thread, I have moved it to money and finance and hopefully someone can help. I wouldn't think you would pay tax on it as you will have paid tax here already

My wife and I are slowly setting up to going to Aus for the next 3 years in a few months. We'll both be working out there full time in a company that is supporting us to come over and 'try it' with a view to considering living there permanently. I'm just trying to figure out some of the nitty-gritty if we stay or decide to come back. If we do come back to the UK 3 years later and we will have amassed a good amount of savings - would we be liable to pay tax on it if we come back to the UK?

ie. If we put worked and saved $50,000 (max) / year for three years (post tax of course) and then moved the money back over with us would it be classed as an income, a capital gain or will we need to pay some form of tax on it?

Thanks for any help!

No, you won't. You are not taxed when you move your savings with you.