Moving to SYD from Mumbai. is this wage enough?

superpink

Hi guys!

My husband and I, along with our 2 year old daughter are considering moving to Sydney. We currently live in a nice cottage in Mumbai, but would really give up everything if it would mean a better education and future for our little girl. and that's the tough decision we have to make right now. Will we have enough money to give her a comfortable life in Australia?

My husband is getting offered a yearly salary of AUD 100,000. + super, before taxes. The company is giving my husband a PR visa.

Please forgive my naivete, but i needed help understanding a few things:

1 - Is this a good enough wage to live comfortably in Sydney? I will need to be at home with the baby for awhile till she goes to school or we can afford daycare maybe.

2 - Would a Permanent Resident visa for my husband include the family?

3 - How much do utilities cost per month? water, gas, electricity, rent? (approx)

We are really thinking very hard about this decision as we will have to use all our savings to go to Australia and make it work. So as you can imagine, we are so stressed out to make the right decision. Your advice and input will definitely help me! Thanks so much!

warm regards from Mumbai.

Hi guys!

My husband and I, along with our 2 year old daughter are considering moving to Sydney. We currently live in a nice cottage in Mumbai, but would really give up everything if it would mean a better education and future for our little girl. and that's the tough decision we have to make right now. Will we have enough money to give her a comfortable life in Australia?

My husband is getting offered a yearly salary of AUD 100,000. + super, before taxes. The company is giving my husband a PR visa.

1 - Is this a good enough wage to live comfortably in Sydney? I will need to be at home with the baby for awhile till she goes to school or we can afford daycare maybe.

3 - How much do utilities cost per month? water, gas, electricity, rent? (approx)

We are really thinking very hard about this decision as we will have to use all our savings to go to Australia and make it work. So as you can imagine, we are so stressed out to make the right decision. Your advice and input will definitely help me! Thanks so much!

The average Australian salary is now just under $80,000. You should be able to manage if you live fairly frugally. The budget would not cover a lot of eating out at expensive places, for example. I can't comment on the visa but would assume it would include a family. From what we are all hearing about the treatment of women in India, your daughter would undoubtedly be better off here! You'll need to get used to doing just about everything for yourself though. (My daughter has two little kids and is living overseas, with a maid. It will be a shock to her when she comes back....she was here at Christmas and seemed to think I was her maid until I told her otherwise...) With a two year old, there will be plenty of networks for you to tap into and adapt quickly.

• 1 month later...

The average Australian salary is now just under $80,000. You should be able to manage if you live fairly frugally. The budget would not cover a lot of eating out at expensive places, for example. I can't comment on the visa but would assume it would include a family. From what we are all hearing about the treatment of women in India, your daughter would undoubtedly be better off here! You'll need to get used to doing just about everything for yourself though. (My daughter has two little kids and is living overseas, with a maid. It will be a shock to her when she comes back....she was here at Christmas and seemed to think I was her maid until I told her otherwise...) With a two year old, there will be plenty of networks for you to tap into and adapt quickly.

Reading too much of Dailymail? There are places worse for Women in the world and its just that India has a free press to point that out.

Hi guys!

warm regards from Mumbai.

Hi there,

and welcome to PIO!

ad 1) 100 000 is just about doable for family of 3, in my opinion , if you don`t go out to eat much, don`t have to pay babysitter/daycare

ad 2) Get an offer in writing, stating that the PR includes whole family ( you and daughter)

ad 3) rent - we rent a 2 bed/2 bath in a nice area right by the ocean for 570/week. You could rent a house in a decent area for about 700$ a week but more realistic would be 900$ a week

just paid electricity bill and it was 350 $ per 3 months I think so not too bad

rentals don`t include appliances like washer , dryer, fridge, you have to get your own

with a 2 year old, there is a lot to do and a lot of social opportunities for both of you - moms playgroups etc

I have no idea about what the life is like in Mumbai, I`ve never been to India ( but it`s on my bucket list :wink:). Do you think life is going to be better here for you or you just want to try it for the adventure and see how it goes? Do you have any family in Australia or would you be on your own?

Sydney real estate has reached beyond crazy in my opinion. Have a look at www. realestate.com.au to get idea about house prices ( and rentals in the area you want to be in).

Good luck with everything, whether you decide to move or not :wubclub:

You can be added onto the application so that you all get the visa together, it isn't automatic though, you do need to fill in the right bits and pay a few for the additional applicants.

The salary of $100k won't have you living in poverty, but you won't be enjoying too many luxuries either, not in Sydney which has some extremely expensive housing costs. Do you have any money to bring over that you would be able to buy a property with? That would make a big difference.