Living in Australia but working for a UK company, Tax advice

Frano

Hi All

Im sure other people do the same but wondered what the tax implications are for living in Australia and still working for and being paid by a UK company, simple question, who do I pay tax too? I will be living in Melbourne soon but bringing my job with me.

Any ideas?

You will almost certainly have to submit a tax return in both countries, depending on your tax status, resident, ordinary resident, domicile, how many days you spent in the UK in the UK tax year when you leave the UK, and the same for the Aussie tax year (which runs from July 1st to June 30th), whether you continue to have an income in the UK, whilst you are living in Australia, and maybe other factors. That does not mean you will be paying double the tax because there is a double tax agreement between OZ and UK, although you may have to declare your actual overseas income, and pay a percentage of tax in 'the other country.'

I doubt you will be paid in GBP in the UK for a job you are doing in Australia, not that there would be any point as you need $AUS if you are living in Australia.

Find yourself a tax agent/accountant after you arrive in Australia. H & R Block is a good start, as they seem to be ubiquitous in Australia. I have my own tax agent in Sydney. Their fees are tax deductible and they usually have a better understanding and relationship with the ATO. Maybe register on line with HMRC too. It may sound complicated but it's not. I have a UK income and submit a return to HMRC every year. I have found them easy to deal with either on the internet or by phone.

Hi All

Im sure other people do the same but wondered what the tax implications are for living in Australia and still working for and being paid by a UK company, simple question, who do I pay tax too? I will be living in Melbourne soon but bringing my job with me.

Any ideas?

You need to pay tax in Australia. Your UK employer needs to administer Australian PAYG. They probably won't want to do that, but it is not correct for them to continue to pay you under UK PAYE. You might need to contract and invoice them instead.

Actually, I am not sure many people do do the same. Maybe short term, but long term working so remotely and earning in a different currency than the one your expenses are in is not always ideal.

Cheers Maryrose02 & Bungo

Ok thanks I have a bit of time yet before it will happen (Dec time) but you've given me somewhere to start, this has only come about as the job I have can be done from home or where ever I am and its become an option open to me recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here and I've engaged with a couple of tax advisors, but in the initial conversations I've had conflicting information about how the situation could work, should my employer continue to pay me in the UK. I now just want to pay a proper, respectable international tax advisor, to tell me how this stuff should work. Can anyone recommend?

Jo Lamberth

websters

Australian office:

ARBN 150 262 178

Registered office and postal address:

Level 20, Tower A, The Zenith

821 Pacific Highway

Chatswood

NSW 2067

Direct Telephone Line: 02 8448 8117

Mobile: 0479 044 255

UK office:

10 Wellington Street

Cambridge

CB1 1HW

Tel: 01223 507080

Fax: 01223 566187

Email: Please PM me for address

Web: www.tax.uk.com websters is a trading name of Andrew Webster Limited registered in England and Wales No. 4460609

Edited by Ozmaniac
Removed email

My clients have used Alan Collett and have been very satisfied with his work in this area. rgds Frank

Alan Collett

alan.collett@gmtax.com.au

Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales

Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia

Principal - GM Tax

W - http://www.gmtax.com.au

Level 27, Rialto South Tower, 525 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000, Australia - T +61 (0)3 9935 2929

Postal address: PO Box 467, Belmont, VIC 3216, Australia

Offices also in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, and the UK

Hi All

Any ideas?

Dont declare any of it to any of them..

And nd you had the nerve shoot me down over my grammar ...well well well ! The kind of people they are letting in the country these days ....fancy that!!!

If they keep letting dumb asses like you in ....the country will be bankrupt in no time ....but hey oh you can blag ya way through a tax form with ya superior standards in grammar and spelling no doubt !

just sto what the country needs ! Intelligent people coming in ...those that are good at fiddling the tax system ..you smart arse you !

Edited by Shellybingobingo

That tactic can work well, until 10 years down the line when they catch up with you demanding overdue tax, with penalties and interest. If you don't have the money to pay you could always take out a 2nd mortgage! :ssign19: