Could we get a mortgage?

Reena1991

Hi, we will find this out for definite when we arrive and speak to a broker but just wanted to gauge a general consensus so I can prepare myself for what's possible when we (hopefully) feel settled and ready to buy a house.

I just wondered if it's possible to get a mortgage based on these figures and if anyone new roughly how much of a mortgage we could get. We will have about $100,000 to put towards a house, however our income is going to be fairly low, at least until all children are at school which is going to be at least 6 years away so I can go back to work. Household income will be between $50-60 k a year.

Will it be possible to get a mortgage based on this income and. $100,000 deposit and if so what sort of prices could we look at for buying? We are going to SA.

thanks for any advice

I'm assuming you are going over with permanent residency? If not you wouldn't even want to think about it.

Assuming you are then you should be able to access some kind of 'key start' scheme. This is the WA one http://www.keystart.com.au

Without this kind of scheme you will be hit heavily with 'mortgage indemnity insurance' unless you have a 20% deposit. $100k is quite healthy though and although your salary is quite low they will lend much higher multiples than in the UK.

Rents on the whole are low compared to mortgages though (the opposite to the UK) so you may want to free yourself from the burden of a mortgage and enjoy life especially for the first few years until you're sure you're going to stay. We made the mistake of thinking our own house would help us settle and three years of living hand to mouth later we moved back anyway.

We've been told the same but deposit - if you've not got 20%, you get hit by insurance costs. Our broker has also indicated that my salary will not be considered until my probation period of 6 months is over, although our bank are willing to just wait until I'm 3 months in (hubby is already employed with no probation so we could still base it on his alone, but wouldn't get as much).

I'm assuming you are going over with permanent residency? If not you wouldn't even want to think about it.

Assuming you are then you should be able to access some kind of 'key start' scheme. This is the WA one http://www.keystart.com.au

Without this kind of scheme you will be hit heavily with 'mortgage indemnity insurance' unless you have a 20% deposit. $100k is quite healthy though and although your salary is quite low they will lend much higher multiples than in the UK.

Rents on the whole are low compared to mortgages though (the opposite to the UK) so you may want to free yourself from the burden of a mortgage and enjoy life especially for the first few years until you're sure you're going to stay. We made the mistake of thinking our own house would help us settle and three years of living hand to mouth later we moved back anyway.

Thank you, il have a look to see if there's anything similar in SA. Yes we are coming over on a permanent residency visa. It's not something we would do straight away but after a year or 2 I would like to buy somewhere if we are settled and enjoying it :smile:

We've been told the same but deposit - if you've not got 20%, you get hit by insurance costs. Our broker has also indicated that my salary will not be considered until my probation period of 6 months is over, although our bank are willing to just wait until I'm 3 months in (hubby is already employed with no probation so we could still base it on his alone, but wouldn't get as much).

We won't be living near the city, as OH won't work in the city so the house prices / rent we are looking at are fairly reasonable( although won't really know until we get there). I think $100,000 would definitely cover the 20% deposit and hopefully a bit more as we'll be away from the city and looking for 3 beds rather than anything bigger. Do you have to pay for a brokers advice and help in oz? When we used one here in the uk it didn't cost us anything as I. Assuming he got some sort of commission from the banks?

Hi, we will find this out for definite when we arrive and speak to a broker but just wanted to gauge a general consensus so I can prepare myself for what's possible when we (hopefully) feel settled and ready to buy a house.

I just wondered if it's possible to get a mortgage based on these figures and if anyone new roughly how much of a mortgage we could get. We will have about $100,000 to put towards a house, however our income is going to be fairly low, at least until all children are at school which is going to be at least 6 years away so I can go back to work. Household income will be between $50-60 k a year.

Will it be possible to get a mortgage based on this income and. $100,000 deposit and if so what sort of prices could we look at for buying? We are going to SA.

thanks for any advice

Shouldn't be a big issue with such a deposit. Just be comfortable with the mortgage a broker may try and saddle you with. Take into accounts costs around the purchase as well as future interest rises and possible job losses. Their job is to sell you the mortgage first and foremost.

A couple of other things to take into account (in case you are not aware)...

The price of the house on realestate.com.au does not include stamp duty, so you would need to pay this on top of the house price. Have a look at this calculator to give you an idea of the amount, which can be quite a bit...

http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/services-and-information/calculators/stamp-duty-on-conveyances-calculator-new

The current mortgage rates are very low for Australia, around 5% so take this into consideration when looking at your repayments. We have had our mortgage for almost 7 years and in that time the highest our interest rate has been is 9.14%, this makes a massive difference to your repayments.

If you are planning on moving further out in Adelaide, you may need to run 2 cars, as public transport will be limited depending on how far out of the city you are. Second hand cars are expensive here compared to the UK, so you may need to use some of your savings for cars, unless you have another pot of money for that.

A couple of other things to take into account (in case you are not aware)...

The price of the house on realestate.com.au does not include stamp duty, so you would need to pay this on top of the house price. Have a look at this calculator to give you an idea of the amount, which can be quite a bit...

http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/services-and-information/calculators/stamp-duty-on-conveyances-calculator-new

The current mortgage rates are very low for Australia, around 5% so take this into consideration when looking at your repayments. We have had our mortgage for almost 7 years and in that time the highest our interest rate has been is 9.14%, this makes a massive difference to your repayments.

If you are planning on moving further out in Adelaide, you may need to run 2 cars, as public transport will be limited depending on how far out of the city you are. Second hand cars are expensive here compared to the UK, so you may need to use some of your savings for cars, unless you have another pot of money for that.

Thanks Jessica, we are looking at the southern beach suburbs such as moana and areas around there. But all, depends where jobs are. We should have about 160,000 once house is sold and we already have our money for flights and shipping, so it will hopefully be the whole 160,000 that will take. have allocated $60,000 to help set us up for rental, cars etc so after this have a nice round even number to work with, everything's estimating though!

There was no stamp duty on new builds for first time buyers in WA when we built and there was a first time buyers grant - we got a 'boost' too so got $14k towards the cost from the government but that was because they were spending their way out of the GFC at the time.

The rules change all the time but have a look at http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/grants-and-concessions/first-home-owners

It seems in SA there is still a grant for new builds.

thanks for any advice

Hi

Can you give me a breakdown of your anticipated income ie what type and who will receive it as well as how many children you have and ages as well as any liabilities ie loans etc?

I can then give you a rough idea of your borrowing power.

Regards

Andy

Hi

Can you give me a breakdown of your anticipated income ie what type and who will receive it as well as how many children you have and ages as well as any liabilities ie loans etc?

I can then give you a rough idea of your borrowing power.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for replying. Income, according to firms that have got back to us will be around 50-60k. My partner will be the one earning and he is a mechanic.. We won't have any loans and we have 2 young children, when we arrive they will be 3 and 1. It will either be just one income or depending on whether it makes financial sense, I might to relief teaching if the childcare rebate makes it worth my while for approx 3 days a week.(have been told this will be about $250 per day but obviously is not guaranteed work), we are on a perm 190 visa and like I said before will have approx $100,000 to go towards a house.

thank you so much :-)

Hi Andy, thanks for replying. Income, according to firms that have got back to us will be around 50-60k. My partner will be the one earning and he is a mechanic.. We won't have any loans and we have 2 young children, when we arrive they will be 3 and 1. It will either be just one income or depending on whether it makes financial sense, I might to relief teaching if the childcare rebate makes it worth my while for approx 3 days a week.(have been told this will be about $250 per day but obviously is not guaranteed work), we are on a perm 190 visa and like I said before will have approx $100,000 to go towards a house.

thank you so much :-)

Hi Reena

Based on the info you have stated and assuming Hubbie earning $55k pa you should also receive Centrelink Family Tax Benefits Part A & B http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/family-tax-benefit-part-a-part-b

Therefore I have also factored in around $538 per fortnight into the equation obviously this would need to be in payment and verified.

So working on the above your max borrowing power is around $290k and with your $100k to cover deposit and costs the max house purchase would be circa $370,000.

Costs to purchase would be around $20k and therefore your deposit would be $80k thus the mortgage $290k.

Payments on a $290k loan over 30 years (default term) based on a 4.84% rate would be around $1,528 per month.

The above costs also factor in Conveyancer fees.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy

Andrew would you really be entitled to tax benefits?? If you are working but not been in the country for long (I thought it was the UK only soft enough to do this) we would roughly be in the same financial position as OP and I never dreamed that you would be able to get benefits. It's nice, but I'm not sure that sits well with me!! :-/

Andrew would you really be entitled to tax benefits?? If you are working but not been in the country for long (I thought it was the UK only soft enough to do this) we would roughly be in the same financial position as OP and I never dreamed that you would be able to get benefits. It's nice, but I'm not sure that sits well with me!! :-/

Family tax benefits are not subject to the two year waiting period for new migrants with PR. If you're are entitled to them you can start claiming pretty much immediately. Family Tax B currently cuts of at a single income of $150K -- so why not? (although the Abbott government is trying to reduce it).

Edited by Peach