can you Take a Loan Debt with you!!

Guest andylane

Guest andylane

Just wondering can you take a debt with you and pay it off over there in oz? We want to keep our money for the House down payment when we get there and not have to put down the minimum if you know what i mean.

i want a good start for us and not be left with the minimum.

cheers

Hi Andy,

We are also in the same boat. We are going to leave enough money i our UK bank account to cover the loan for 2 years. We will give my mams address as a contacvt address. Then hopefully after that we may beable to ask for a settlement figure or continue paying it until its cleared. Dont know if that helps

Em x

Guest Pasty

Thing is, if you don't pay, they will chase you if it's a big amount! Or worse case, if you decided Oz is not for you, they will get you when you return to the UK. Best thing is to pay it. You'll still get good exchange on the $ from the UK (this is just my opinion). Start your new life off on the right foot.

Jackie

Guest Scarletfever

Bloody hell chelle!!! you sound like a bandito!!:shocked:

My mate did that before he left for the states 10years ago. He bought loads of white goods on the drip and sold them all privately. He pocketed a load of wedge, the robbin' git.

Anyone got a Curry's card????

Guest andylane
Thing is, if you don't pay, they will chase you if it's a big amount! Or worse case, if you decided Oz is not for you, they will get you when you return to the UK. Best thing is to pay it. You'll still get good exchange on the $ from the UK (this is just my opinion). Start your new life off on the right foot.

Jackie

Hee Hee Hee ive noticed all the unsavory posts on doing a runner and such came from the guys actually in the UK and the only fartherly advice sort of thing came from a person already in oz ha ha ( whats happening to us brits ) LMAO

Off to the CAB

• 3 years later...
Guest chesters01

could i transfer my loan to an australlian bank or could i continue to pay my loan in oz making payments to the uk bank. could this have any effect on my visa. any feedback would be great

Guest chris955

As long as loan payments are being made the bank wouldn't know or care what country you are in. If you are not defaulting on the loan there is no real issue I can see, make sure the bank has a UK address where they are able to contact you. As I say make the payments and there will be no problems.

I very much doubt you could transfer the loan to a bank here, it might be worth taking out a loan here when you are able to and pay it off, it would make it easier for you.

Guest chesters01
As long as loan payments are being made the bank wouldn't know or care what country you are in. If you are not defaulting on the loan there is no real issue I can see, make sure the bank has a UK address where they are able to contact you. As I say make the payments and there will be no problems.

I very much doubt you could transfer the loan to a bank here, it might be worth taking out a loan here when you are able to and pay it off, it would make it easier for you.

ok thanks very much for your advise, very helpful.

Hi

You probably won't be able to transfer it to a loan over here as they have pretty strict lending criteria and like to see evidence of employment before loaning. But as everyone else has said you can leave money in the UK account and most companies are happy to note an Oz address as well as a UK contact.

Just a word of warning about mortgages and obviously depends on your situation but you will probably find it difficult to get a mortgage in the first year. We have been here 6 months and have just put the feelers out and pretty much been told we need to wait another 6 months. Obviously depends on your situation, but they don't take any of your UK history into account - so the fact we had a mortgage in the UK for 6 years with no defaults doesn't matter over here. Again only my experience.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest abinclane

My sister is in the same situation as you. She is already near the full payment of her house, probably 2 or 3 years and she's got it all covered. But she and her fiance will be moving to the states so she doesn't know what to do. She'd probably still be paying for the house until that time and sell it after.

Archived