Cost of living - Anyone willing to share info?

Guest forshac

Guest forshac

Hi guys,

We have finally sent our medicals and police checks off and are now at the stage where we are thinking oh my god it could be soon! reality has hit big time. I appreciate this could be asking alot however, you dont know until you ask.. :?

We are really starting to panic about cost of living...Yes I hear you all say. Would anyone be willing to let me have a fairly precise monthly expenditure on what they are paying out each month. I'm a visual person and seeing what someone is really paying each month would really help. We would be initially renting and at present there is only the two of us. Looking to move to Melbourne - Narre Warren area.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to allow me to be nosey! :D

Guest Anita

Hope this can be of help...we got this from our sponsors recently to give us an idea of costs.....

Per month $ Per month pounds

Water Quarterly 33 14

Gas Fortnightly (DD) 17 7

Electricity Fortnightly (DD) 56 24

Phone Monthly 50 21

Mobile Phone PAYG 10 4

Internet Monthly 50 21

House Ins & Contents Monthly 72 30

Council Tax Quarterly 92 38

Private Health Ins Yearly 147 61

Car Insurance Monthly 45 19

Car Tax Yearly 44 19

Breakdown Cover Yearly 17 7

Sky TV Monthly 99.95 for the full monty

TV Licence WHAT TV LICENCE - THEY DONT HAVE ONE

Petrol Monthly 130 54

Food Weekly 400 167

Wine/Beer Weekly 240 100

entertainment Weekly 50 21

Mortgage ($300,000) Weekly 470 196

This is based on 2 people living in the suburbs of Melbourne.

Hope this helps you a little.

Anita

Guest ABCDiamond

Anita,

Your figures had me confused for a while, especially the "Wine/Beer Weekly 240"

All your figures are Monthly, irrespective of the words "Weekly", etc alongside the description ?

Guest Anita

Apologies for the figures in my last post....I copied them straight from a spreadsheet given to me by our sponsors however when I clicked "submit post" I'm afraid all the text was pushed together. I can email anyone a copy of the spreadsheet if requred just PM me your email address.

I'm new to this can you tell???

ABC Diamond

Please help. I am a little confused. (It doesn't take much)

You say all the figures in Anita's list are monthly. Is this with the exception of the mortgage? As this seems rather cheap for a monthly repayment. I am also trying to work out, how much we are going to need to live on, so any info anyone has will be much appreciated. We are heading for Queensland. Can anyone tell us if the cost of living is much different there from Melbourne?

Thanks Anita and Dave :)

Hiya

We have just returned from 'testing' Brisbane and found the cost of living pretty similar to here when you took into account everything from cars to crisp and the difference in UK to OZ incomes ,the big difference for us would be no mortgage as property is so much cheaper ,if anything as my hubby is going for a 'less presuure' job he is taking a big wage drop , but what we found is you can have a really good day out FREE there are just so many places to go.Sites you would pay to see and facilites we would pay for are free in Oz ,,all in all we love it

Cal x

Guest ABCDiamond
ABC Diamond

Please help. I am a little confused. (It doesn't take much)

You say all the figures in Anita's list are monthly. Is this with the exception of the mortgage? As this seems rather cheap for a monthly repayment. I am also trying to work out, how much we are going to need to live on, so any info anyone has will be much appreciated. We are heading for Queensland. Can anyone tell us if the cost of living is much different there from Melbourne?

Thanks Anita and Dave :)

Good point about that mortgage figure!

I assumed they would be monthly based on the original headings, and the majority of the prices. I first noticed on the "Wine/Beer Weekly $240" figure :D Unless of they do drink a bt (lot) more than me ;)

A $300,000 mortgage would have interest alone of about $1,750 per month.

It may be worth getting the spreadsheet that Anita offered.

Guest ABCDiamond

Here is something I did a short time ago, covering my average costs over a 2 year period, in QLD.

Averages per week are:

Cars - $103.00 (2 cars, both fully paid)

Education - $73.00 (Private School)

Electricity - $23.00 (No Gas in house)

Food - $126.00 (For 2 adults and 1 pre-teen child)

Household - $97.00 (Building & Contents Insurance, Garden, General Maint etc)

Medical - $39.00 (No Medical Insurance)

Misc - $195.00 (Including Holidays, clothes, the wifes shoes & handbags etc)

Phones - $23.00

Rates - $33.00 (Rates & Water)

Total Weekly $712.00 (But No rent or Mortgage included)

I have discussed costs with people in Melbourne before,and I get the impression that things can be more expensive down there.

Archived