Electrician wanting to immigrate to Australia?

Guest tom29

Hi, im looking to move to Australia in about 12 months from now. Im hoping to carry my knowledge and experience on and get a job as an electrician (mains-supply wiring/rewiring in houses, offices, shops);

341111 - Electrician (General) >>> 457 / Spon / Indep

At the moment im not sponsored and probably wont be, so that makes me independant.

My British "Electrical Installation"qualifications are:

236 City&Guilds part 1 and 2

NVQ level 2 and 3

AM1 and 2

17th edition wiring regulations BS7671

I dont have the 2391 test and inspect qualification.

JIB recognizes me as "Electrician".

Does anyone know;

if my qualifications mean anything in Australia? im hoping i wont need to go on much courses/exams, i realize i'll probably have to do some sort of Australian wiring regulations course/exam to familiarise me with their wiring methods. Im hoping the bulk of my qualifications can be some how recognized in Australia so i wont have to go through all the college work again once im there?

regarding getting a visa, which agency websites have a good name and arnt much of being scam artists? Ive recently applied to Global Visas but when i checked for online reviews it seems theres a fair few people who have been scammed by them. So can anyone recommend a good place to apply for a visa please?

Also, how much money do you think i'll need for everything in order to immigrate and start living in Oz?

So far im thinking along the lines of:

£3k - immigration/visa cost

£1k - flight ticket

£4k - for a car/van + insurance, computer, hand and power tools for my job.

£2k - electrical course fee's

£1k - for 1-3 months (until im earning money) living costs ie food, petrol for car/taxis etc

rent and utility bills are free until i start earning money, then i can pay my friend back after im earning money

Am i correct in how im planning? any info/advice much appreciated thanks.

Guest english reject

All your qauls mean nowt, how are you going to get into Oz,

1 working holiday visa

2 175 visa

3 176 visa ( state sponsored )

3 employer nominatated visa ( cannt remember the numbers )

if you are in the UK and want to go on a 175/176 you will need 1 of the following,

1 OSTR by vettassess ( general electrician ) paper based then a days practical.

2 ARTC by TRA ( electrician special class ) paper based.

If you go on the british expats site and look at working abroad by profession there is a shed load of info on there.

ER

Guest english reject

When you have done all of that and get to Oz you then have to get your A licence ( again loads of info on british expats ).

ER

Hi Tom,

From what you've said (install sparx) you will need to apply to vetassess for a practical assessment, you will need to have been working as an electrician for at least 7 years but i think this can include your apprenticeship years.

It is a paper application that costs a couple of hundred £ish then they invite you for an assessment this costs a lot more but when and where the next convenient one to you is, is anybodies guess but you can find out hopefully.

Once you've got all this out of the way you can actually apply for a visa (all the preliminiaries will take at least a year i think) and then the wait begins... There have been massive changes since I applied (mid 2009) but hopefully it will settle down soon. I wouldn't bank on a visa within 3 years from start to finish if i were you.

The only short cut would be to get employer sponsorship (this is after the preliminaries) but as a licenced trade it is hard going and why lots of people give up on the sponsorship possibilities. You can't knock the aussies for not jumping in with both feet as they are effectively sponsoring somebody from afar without having any guarantees that:

a) you are any good

b) if you will be able to get an unrestricted/ A class licence

c) will actually like Australia once you get there

Your Quals once you get there don't mean diddly, you will need to get a licence, I wouldn't even think about that part yet as thats changed a bit since i applied and probably will again before i get a visa (I've given up tracking the changes and will look into it once I have the right to go :wink:)

Good luck and prepare for the long game!

I have used Ian Harrop and assoc. and can honestly say no complaints so far

Hello Tom,

As a UK based Electrician the first step in the migration process will be to have your skills assessed by Vetassess. As this is a lengthily process I would suggest starting now. From the information you supply it sounds like you should be able to get a positive assessment from them. Depending on your age and if you want to sit an English exam you should have the option of either a SC175 independent visa or a SC176 state sponsored visa.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to contact me if you need further advice.

Regards

Guest tiddywiddy

Hi all

I have just read this post & my partner was always under the impression that you would need 7 years work experience, but I read somewhere that is was around 4 years, this was excluding the training. Can anyone kindly shed some light on the work experience required please. My other half has just turned 40 & has 4 years work experience & trained as a electrician in his 30's, one day aweek for 3 years, so has no apprenticeship etc. Is this likely to cause a problem, we are aiming to start the application process next year, but dont wont to waste our time or money. We have spoken to a couple of migration of experts, one of which never bothered to return our calls via a sucessful online application & the other seems to want us to pay up front & then see if there is a problem???

We look forward to any responses, many thanks in advance

I did 1 day a week at college and 4 days a week as apprentice electrician, for 3 years.

My 1st and 2nd jobs as a qualified electrician was for over 3 years.

Both of those companies merged after i left them, and soon after the company had dissolved.

The phone numbers i couldve used for CV references they no longer exist.

So, wonder how VETASSES or whoever will check how many years experience i have.

Guest tiddywiddy

Erm thats a hard one, dont know how you go about that. None of this is easy is it, prehaps the fact that you have prof that you did work/did your apprenticeship for the said time, that may help, regardless of the fact you have no ref's.....

Hope any of that makes sense, lol

Yea its a pain. You'd think experience wouldnt matter, i meen after a year in each type of work like domestic, commercial, industrial youve pretty much learnt everything. If theres anything you dont know you just refer to the regs or onsite book, or some equipment manual.

Experience just makes you a faster worker, and from what ive been reading on these forums is that Aus sparks are a bunch of slackers compared to brit sparks lol, over here its all rush rush rush who can rewire that house in a day.

Hi all

I have just read this post & my partner was always under the impression that you would need 7 years work experience, but I read somewhere that is was around 4 years, this was excluding the training. Can anyone kindly shed some light on the work experience required please. My other half has just turned 40 & has 4 years work experience & trained as a electrician in his 30's, one day aweek for 3 years, so has no apprenticeship etc. Is this likely to cause a problem, we are aiming to start the application process next year, but dont wont to waste our time or money. We have spoken to a couple of migration of experts, one of which never bothered to return our calls via a sucessful online application & the other seems to want us to pay up front & then see if there is a problem???

We look forward to any responses, many thanks in advance

Hello There,

Until 2007 when TRA stopped Pathway D you would of needed 6 year experience. Now that UK Electricians are assessed by Vetassess you do not need Formal Qualifications and you only need a minimum of 2 years work experience. This is because they put a lot of emphasis on testing your practical skills as part of their assessment process.

Feel free to contact me if you need further clarification.

Regards

Guest tiddywiddy

Wow many thanks Stephen, that is brilliant news. Ive now got to convience my o/h that it is no longer 6 years work experience, as he thinks im making it up!!! As we dont plan to start the process till next year, when he hits 41, Im hoping it doesnt take years for us to be accepted/rejected as we'll be too late then.

Many thanks again & if its ok I may contact you again for info/clarification etc

Kindest regards