RSMS and visa cancellations

Migration Options

Hi everyone

We have received three inquiries from RSMS visa holders these past few weeks. One with health problems and wanting to move to capital city; one who arrived and discovered there was no work and a third who was being ripped off by his employer.

Given the past discussions I thought you may be interested to know that we discussed all three cases with two different DIAC officers in two different states and got the same response. The clients who will be followed up are those who have simply "used" an employer as a means to get a quick visa and then left as soon as they arrive in Oz. If the employer reports them DIAC will try and find them and visa cancellation is a possibility.

For people who have made a genuine attempt to work and things have not worked out for whatever reason, and both the employee and employer are happy to terminate the contract, DIAC will not pursue these cases.

For visa applicants who arrive and find there is no promised job, or are exploited - DIAC encourages you to report those employers. Your visas will not be cancelled.

However I would still strongly advise each individual RSMS visa holder who wants to leave their employer, to contact a migration agent and ask them to speak to Immigration about the situation. Names do not have to be divulged.

I trust this may be helpful information for those of you who have found yourselves in untenable positions.

Libby Hogarth

reg agent 9364758

Adelaide, SA

Archived