State Migration Plans and State Sponsorship

Alan Collett

My present understanding based on conversations I have had is that:

* Those with "old style" subclass 176 visa sponsorship will not automatically transition to the higher priority SMP sponsorship.

* As such those who wish to be pushed up the processing pecking order will be required to seek sponsorship again, once the SMPs are published.

* It remains to be seen whether DIAC will allow sponsorship under a SMP to replace "old style" sponsorship on subclass 176 visa applications that are already lodged.

* It appears that subclass 176 visa applications supported by "old style" sponsorship will not be possible once the SMPs are in issue. Hence the SA Government's communication of earlier today requiring all visa applications with old style sponsorship to be submitted before 07/07/2010 (I will write an article for Go Matilda News discussing this later today).

This appears to stem from the Department of Immigration's use of quotas within the SMP sponsorship regime to control the number of applications under this higher priority category.

I hasten to add that in the absence of published material from DIAC I can only interpret what I am hearing, but I hope the above gives some direction in the fog of confusion that currently exists.

Best regards.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

So far, member of the forum have obtained the following PROVISIONAL dates from the various State Governments:

West Australia: UPDATED - 30th June 2010. The senior staff lady at the London office of the WA State Migration Centre says today that she does not think that WA will be ready to publish their own SMP until late Juky/early August 2010. Once WA and DIAC have agreed on the details, the arrangements then have to be approved by "a couple of further layers of the Federal Government" before the agreement can be finalised.

Queensland: Hopefully around 15th July 2010

Australian Capital Territory: Hopefully around 1st August 2010

Victoria: Hopefully around 1st August 2010

Northern Territory: 1st September 2010

New South Wales: They say they are still"in discussions" with DIAC and do not know when they will be able to produce an SMP.

South Australia: No news yet

Tasmania: No news yet

I'll keep updating this post as and when we get new/different/definite information.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

About 6 weeks ago I phoned David Wilden in London to ask about State sponsorship arrangements once the new SMPs are published?

David said that he had no information but he had heard that Canberra had produced a set of definite rules about the way everything is supposed to work. It is a specific document and I do not know what it is called.

David said that he had asked Canberra to send him a copy of this document. He volunteered to forward a copy to me when he received it but I have heard nothing more.

It might be worthwhile if you could ask David to send you a copy of the document so that you can interpret what it says and distil it into a simple description? I would guess that the document itself would be too complicated for most people and probably unnecessarily detailed.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
You will not find the source because these are intepretations of the conversations Alan has had with various Authorities.

Hi Ozzieland

Yes, Alan makes what you say very clear.

There is a definitive document floating about apparently, as i have mentioned to Alan. Canberra would need such a document in order to explain their plans to the States.

I do not have a copy of the document but if Alan gets it instead, he could distil it and get the important points out of it faster than I could and probably with greater accuracy.

Cheers

Gill

Guest recherche

* Those with "old style" subclass 176 visa sponsorship will not automatically transition to the higher priority SMP sponsorship.

* As such those who wish to be pushed up the processing pecking order will be required to seek sponsorship again, once the SMPs are published.

* It remains to be seen whether DIAC will allow sponsorship under a SMP to replace "old style" sponsorship on subclass 176 visa applications that are already lodged.

* It appears that subclass 176 visa applications supported by "old style" sponsorship will not be possible once the SMPs are in issue. Hence the SA Government's communication of earlier today requiring all visa applications with old style sponsorship to be submitted before 07/07/2010 (I will write an article for Go Matilda News discussing this later today).

This appears to stem from the Department of Immigration's use of quotas within the SMP sponsorship regime to control the number of applications under this higher priority category.

I hasten to add that in the absence of published material from DIAC I can only interpret what I am hearing, but I hope the above gives some direction in the fog of confusion that currently exists.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing this information.. much better than my agent who is not helpful at all.

Im a 475 applicant (sponsored by SA), and my nominated occupation is on the SOL (schedule 4). Im wondering if my application will be moved to a higher priority? or I will need to reapply with SA again?

Really appreciate if you could help to clarify matters!

Tiff

Guest bcfrug

Who knows what will happen.

Im expecting to be on the new SMP for WA and i hope i am.

If i am do i re apply for SMP Sponsership or will my SS tranfer accross.

So many un answered questions.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for this info.

We got ACT ss late last year - does this mean we are 'old style' ss?

We have been applying for over 3yrs. We originally applied for the 175 then changed to 176ss.

If we are old style ss do we need to apply for new ss or does it automatically re-adjust?

Thanks

Guest reddragon81

Guys, it looks pretty clear from Alan's post that

All the people that have already been granted StateSponsorship (it doesn't really make any difference when) will NOT be transferred automatically to SMP and will remain category 5 (3 years to be processed since time of application, unless the Kill Bill is passed in which case you may be refunded the $2500 you paid for your application and have to say "bye bye Oz")

Guest dragsterwish
Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing this information.. much better than my agent who is not helpful at all.

Im a 475 applicant (sponsored by SA), and my nominated occupation is on the SOL (schedule 4). Im wondering if my application will be moved to a higher priority? or I will need to reapply with SA again?

Really appreciate if you could help to clarify matters!

Tiff

I think we - the old style State Sponsor 176 applicants - have to brace ourselves for the SMP storm. Be prepared to re-apply for the more stringent SMP again if necessary. Since we've made it here so far, we'd not let another obstacle stop us. My main concern is for those of the old style SS applicant who do NOT qualify for the new SMP.... then its like being left behind to rot... 3 yrs is a long time to rot awaiting processing & we may get ceased anytime. That is worrying indeed.

Guest reddragon81

also, as Alan said, if you have been granted State Sponsorship and have applied for PR, and would like to re-apply for SMP in order for your application to be processed faster, YOU MAY NOT BE ALLOWED TO DO THAT.

This is something that DIAC are still debating on and Alan could not give more info on that.

Quoting Alan

"* It remains to be seen whether DIAC will allow sponsorship under a SMP to replace "old style" sponsorship on subclass 176 visa applications that are already lodged."

Guest dragsterwish

All the people that have already been granted StateSponsorship (it doesn't really make any difference when) will NOT be transferred automatically to SMP and will remain category 5 (3 years to be processed since time of application, unless the Kill Bill is passed in which case you may be refunded the $2500 you paid for your application and have to say "bye bye Oz")

Sadly but i seems to sense that coming too. With all the talks about having to obtain positive employment prospect, new SOL that don't have all the existing SS' skill list, that the SMP requires the state to show detail research about their needs.... existing SS holders would definitely need to do more to show that their skills fit into the current SMP framework. & the current framework seems to suggest that applicants need to demostrate & show more evidence that their skill has positive employment prospect.

Seeing all these, i think i'm already prepared for the worst - To re-apply for SMP again. I just hope that there is separate queue for existing SS holders so that it is more of conversion of old-style SS to new SMP which is fast-track rather than the 6 months or more lead time to apply for new SMP again!!!

Having said that, i hope all existing SS holders are able to make it to the new SMP. Though i fear the worst for some who can't make it.... whoever it is, it would be devastating.

I asked the question of Sue Harcus at the London office of WA (a very helpful lady I might add who has promptly responded to every query I have had to date) as to whether my SS application would be automatically transferred to the SMP if the SMP comes into force BEFORE my SS application is finalised.

The response is below:

Hi Simon

Your application should basically transfer provided your occupation is

on the States list of occupations in demand. From the information I am

receiving that list will probably not be available until late July early

August as it needs to go through a couple of layers of Government for

approval.

Hope this has assisted with your concerns.

Regards

Sue Harcus

Hope this helps, Si

Alan's initial post does seem to indicate that those who have lodged 176's with DIAC already won't be able to switch so we shall see I guess. A paragraph on Victoria's website has lead me to believe though, that anyone still waiting for a decision from the State as to whether they will be nominated for the old State Sponsorship, will automatically be considered for the SMP without having to re-apply. Obviously this is only relevant to those who haven't already received nomination from Victoria.

"Victorian Government State Sponsorship Applications

No further applications for Victorian Government state sponsorship will be accepted from 1 July 2010, to allow for implementation of the State Migration Plan. If your sponsorship application is currently in process, it will be considered under the new arrangements and you will be advised of the outcome. Please do not enquire on the progress of your application. "

Hi all we were trilled on Monday as we received our SS from SA.

Feeling totally different about it today, we received an e mail this morning from SA i thought it was a bit strange that the 60 day validity did not apply in our case, it was only when i saw this thread it seemed to make some sense. here's some of the e mail.

****IMPORTANT INFORMATION - READ THOROUGHLY****

Notice of Sponsorship Application Decision

Reference Number: xxxxxx

Date of Birth: xxxxxxxx

Dear xxxxx

Re: State Sponsorship for Subclass: 176

Thank you for your application for Sponsorship to Immigration SA. I am pleased to inform you that the Government of South Australia would like to offer you State Sponsorship for the above visa subclass.

Immigration SA would like to draw your attention to the approval for Sponsorship granted to you by Immigration SA. This is to advise you that your Sponsorship approval for this application will remain valid until 14 July 2010. The 60 day validity period usually afforded to Sponsorship applications will not apply in this instance.

1. As your Nominated Occupation is on the new SOL, if you have not already lodged your visa application with DIAC, you should do so as soon as possible after DIAC re-instates their visa application system on or after 1 July 2010.

2. Once you have lodged your visa application with DIAC, you will receive your DIAC reference number (TRN). In order to confirm your sponsorship nomination please log into the Immigration SA website via the Client Tracking System to update your DIAC reference number:

Immigration SA :: Sponsoring Skilled and Business Migrants and follow the prompts to enter the TRN number into the Application Form. (This will automatically generate the form and send it to DIAC and you will receive notification of this within 48 hours. If you have not received this notification, check your ‘Spam’ folder). However it may take up to 2 weeks for DIAC to physically receive this form.

3. However, if you have already lodged your visa application with DIAC before they shut-down their system on 8 May 2010, your Sponsorship application will remain valid and confirmation will be provided to DIAC when the TRN is entered on the Online Client Tracking System

4. If all these steps are not completed, your visa process will not proceed.

(June 2010)

Why oh why do they KEEP on changing the rules and the goalposts??

I haven't had access to the internet for some time so reading this news this morning has made me feel awful and really sad. I have family in Australia who I am longing to be with.

Everytime we think we are there we have to re-apply for something else. We applied years ago and we're still waiting. I realise there are thousands in the same position. It makes no sense.

Either they want skilled people in Australia or not. They keep advertising for them. Perhaps I should climb on a boat instead and I may get in that way !

Please don't take my interpretation as gospel - there are caveats in my last post, which mean that the eventual outcome might be different.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

About 6 weeks ago I phoned David Wilden in London to ask about State sponsorship arrangements once the new SMPs are published?

David said that he had no information but he had heard that Canberra had produced a set of definite rules about the way everything is supposed to work. It is a specific document and I do not know what it is called.

David said that he had asked Canberra to send him a copy of this document. He volunteered to forward a copy to me when he received it but I have heard nothing more.

It might be worthwhile if you could ask David to send you a copy of the document so that you can interpret what it says and distil it into a simple description? I would guess that the document itself would be too complicated for most people and probably unnecessarily detailed.

Cheers

Gill

I'll make the enquiry, Gill.

No holding your breath for a response though please ... :spinny:

Best regards.

Guest jojaks

AHHHH a comedian !! thank you , i dont feel foolish at all now :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

I strugle with all the abv. best to ask .

To be honest i dont even know what type of visa we are applying for anyway so im not sure if were affected or not

I can tell you im a mechanic and were hoping to go to QLD ive done the whole vettasses thing etc and our agent is lodging our app tommorow , other than that i dont have a clue !!

Ignorance is (hopfully) bliss

Guest VickyMel
AHHHH a comedian !! thank you , i dont feel foolish at all now :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

I strugle with all the abv. best to ask .

To be honest i dont even know what type of visa we are applying for anyway so im not sure if were affected or not

I can tell you im a mechanic and were hoping to go to QLD ive done the whole vettasses thing etc and our agent is lodging our app tommorow , other than that i dont have a clue !!

Ignorance is (hopfully) bliss

You could be on the 176 SS (which may be overturned soon by the SMP) and this may affect you? (if the visa you are applying for means you need to live and work in QLD for 2 years)

Main reason you might like to find out is if you wonder when you might get the visa.

If you are a higher priority you may be looking at 3-6 months - lower priority 2-3 years... however things have been changing so rapidly over the last year that one day you are looking at 3 months - the next day you may be looking at 3 years...

But you may be right ignorance may be bliss compared to the frustrations of watching things change before your eyes all the time.

Good luck

VickyMel

Guest Gollywobbler

Helo Joiak

The SMPs are the new State Migration Plans. The idea is that they will replace the Critical Skills List but instead of one, central CSL, it is ecpected that the occupations listed on the SMPs will vary from State to State because the needs vary from State to State.

In theory the new SMPs can contain a wider choice of occupations than are on the new SOL. So each State can "tailor make" its own CSL, if you like.

However instead of DIAC teling the States what the Minister wants and then leaving it to each State to sort out the rest, DIAC insist on "micromanaging" evert aspect of every SMP. Conequently, although DIAC said at the beginning that they thought the new SMPs would probably be [ublished on 1st July 2010, most of the States are saying that they have not been able to reach agreenent with DIAC about the details as yet. Most of the States seem to be hoping that they can finalise their SMP with DIAC during July, ready for publication early in August 2010. In their shoes, I might well be considerably less optimistic about the likely timescales as the States are being!

Cheers

Gill

Guest GemandJay

Best regards.

I just can't belive it, us poor old tradies just when we see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. How can they justify the unfairness for us oldies. So for instance if Carpenter is on SMP that'll make no difference to us we'll still have to sit and wait til' end of 2012 (or until they change their minds... AGAIN) or maybe re-apply... more cost no doubt, but if a new Carpenter comes along that'll be fine they'll just pop straight into Cat 2 mmm yeah real fair... NOT!!!

Sorry for sounding a little hacked off ... I am just can't get my head round how they can be so unfair!

:arghh::cry::arghh:

Archived