Skilled graduate 485 and 885 visa

robin

Dear All friends,

I have a very serious matter to discuss with you all :arghh:. It is about 885 visa; independent skill category for PR. I just have completed my course on 25 JUN’2010. Already got my positive skill assessment and IELTS 6 in each component.

Actually, I was preparing myself for lodging 485 skilled graduate visa in couple days. Then from nowhere someone suggested me to apply for 885 visa at the same time with 485 visa application. The reason is to have all the available options open in hand, so that I don’t have to be disadvantaged . I am not sure how far that idea will work out . Then I thought of you guys, Why not to take an opinion from you all whether it’s a good or bad? My that friend also suggested me my PR application has to be before 1st JULY’2010 to get the maximum output/points.

According to my current estimate I make straight 100 points for PR in independent category if I lodge my application before 1st July’2010 on existing SOL (i.e. occupation: 60, Age: 20, IELTS: 15, 2 Yrs Aus Study: 5 = 100) :confused:. Then my friend advice me after lodging 885 start working on increasing points, which are sit for IELTS and try to score 7 in each component from where I get extra 10 points + community language : 5 and Australian 1 Year work experience 10 points. He also suggested me the time DIMIA will ask me remaining documents you will have over 1 year time to supply them (i.e. new IELTS transcript, work experience, NAATI etc)

I feel that I can do it . I really have that confident. If I sit couple times for IELTS I can make 7 each. Work experience won’t be the problem as I am already working in my occupation over 2 years. NAATI won’t be the problem.

In this scenario, “Do guys think I should apply for 885 with 485 visa application together?” . The thing I am worried about and need to be confirmed:

1. “Are they(DIMA) gonna accept any documents such as IELTS, NAATI, Experience Certificate; if I supply them later on after lodging my 885 visa application?!” :mad:

2. Is it a smart IDEA (885) or I will be the looser?

3. What happens to my 485 Visa application (as I will lodge it 885 visa application)? :skeptical:

4. What is the sequence of processing as such application i.e. 485,885 from one applicant?

5. During the process of both applications (485,885), can I apply for state sponsorship if the new migration plan suits me?

Guys you know I am making last minute changes; as I never thought that I had option of lodging 885 visa in such a short notice. Although I am ready to bare all the expenditure associated with this. You know how much it cost to lodge 885 visa, which is 2525/- (that also 1st instalment) :wacko:. I just have got 2 days time to make a final decision.

Guys! give me some smart ideas, please! I can go to agent/lawyer but to do this you need time to have an appointment and in my case I haven’t got my course completion letter yet, although my education provider said I would have it by Tues (29) or wed (30). So you can imagine on the edge situation . Anyone can help me?!! :no::no:

Guest rocky

Regarding your question about lodging both 485 and 885, you can do both, but as far as I know, if one of them is successful, the other is automatically withdrawn. So, even if you had the chances of getting 885, if 485 is granted earlier than 885, 885 will be withdrawn and you will have 485. Also, the new rules might prevent you to change your application to a state sponsorship if you have already lodged 885.

I have never heard before that if somebody makes two applications, one would be automatically cancelled if the other is granted (referring to the above post).

However I am just puzzled by this plan. Why would you lodge for two visas and pay two visa application fees?

Also can you confirm, is the occupation you have a skills assessment for not on the new SOL?

Guest rocky
I have never heard before that if somebody makes two applications, one would be automatically cancelled if the other is granted (referring to the above post).

I have heard a similar query before and this was the answer from an agent:

A substantive visa will cease in effect if another substantive visa comes into effect.

So, if your PR has been granted but your TR is still pending, you should withdraw you TR application immediately to avoid the serious consequences.

I am sure some other agent here can confirm it.

I have heard a similar query before and this was the answer from an agent:

A substantive visa will cease in effect if another substantive visa comes into effect.

So, if your PR has been granted but your TR is still pending, you should withdraw you TR application immediately to avoid the serious consequences.

I am sure some other agent here can confirm it.

Yes I am fully aware that one visa will cancel another out, but that is not how I read your previous post. I read it as if you were saying if he puts in two applications, then when the first visa is granted the other application is automatically withdrawn.

Anyway if that is not what you are saying no worries.

If you lodge a 485 followed by an 885 they will both be processed as normal.

The 485 will normally be finalised first and the 885 will continue to be processed.

A visa application and a substantive visa are two different things.

The reason some chose to lodge both a 485 and an 885 is because in most cases the 885 will take a long time to be finalised (years) while the 485 in comparison will be quick. Therefore the applicant will be on a 485, which is a substantive visa, while waiting for the 885 to be finalised. If they were to lodge only the 885 they will be on a bridging visa for a very long time.

Robin, there is nothing wrong with having 2 visa applications. Its most likely that your 485 will be granted first and when you get your 885, it'll cross out your 485, instead of other way around. I am on the same boat. 485 applied 1st March and 886 on 6th may.

With IELTS, I am not so sure. At the moment PR visas are going as slow as snail coz of recent priority reshuffle. Especially with non-CSL ones. But I am not sure whether DIAC will accept late IELTS 7. Hope a migrant agent can advise here.

• 11 months later...

Hi I am currently in the same situation as you. Did you apply for 485 or 885 in the end. I do not have enough points for 885 because I did not do very well for my ielts. If I apply for 885 with that ielts can I re sit for it again while my application is processing and gain better results for it.

Also with australian work experience, is it possible to gain that experience while applying. I am applying for 885 soon and I am only been working for this company for 6 months. Does it strictly have to be one year?

Thanks.

My question is how can you lodge an application when you cannot meet the pass points at the time of lodgement? (except IELTS which is also changing from 1 July).I don't think so they will accept your NAATI and Work exp documents after the lodgement.

Then my friend advice me after lodging 885 start working on increasing points, which are sit for IELTS and try to score 7 in each component from where I get extra 10 points + community language : 5 and Australian 1 Year work experience 10 points. He also suggested me the time DIMIA will ask me remaining documents you will have over 1 year time to supply them (i.e. new IELTS transcript, work experience, NAATI etc)

I feel that I can do it . I really have that confident. If I sit couple times for IELTS I can make 7 each. Work experience won’t be the problem as I am already working in my occupation over 2 years. NAATI won’t be the problem.

Like she said, can I gain those extra points while on bridging? Or maybe get my employer to sponsor. I asked and there is a possibility that he will sponsor me. I am just down by 10 points. if i resit my ietls i will gain that 10 points

• 3 months later...
Guest maryam83

I am currently on my bridging visa of 485, I have applied my skilled grad visa with medical administrator , as my nominated occupation; now I want to change my nominated occupation to something which is also related to my study, but it has been more than 6 months since my study had ended. I am wondering will I get the 5 points, for Australian study, later on when I want to apply for 885?

Thank u

M

Guest prabhakar6891

Hi

My student visa is about to expire in two days. I had no other go to file an TR application.I have lodged my TR application Individually. At the time of lodgement I havnt meet the the requirement for IELTS. I processed the application with my old IELTS for the application. But, now I have got the score in all modules above six for TR eligibility. Can I submit my new IELTS score to immigration within 28 days.

I heard that at the time of lodgement if we didnt meet the eligibility our application will be refused. For this reason we need to lodge an second TR application.

Furthermore, I heard form one a immigration agent said that " You have to at least sit the IELTS test 1 day before you lodge the visa, you can’t sit the IELTS after you lodge the visa.

So you can sit it before, and then pass the result on at a later date.

If you sit the IELTS after you lodge the visa, then the visa will be refused when they go to assess it. However, what you can consider doing is lodging another TR application within 6 months of course completion once you attain the IELTS 6. SO in essence, you’d have 2x 485 applications in the system, but the 1st one would obviously be refused, unless you withdrawal it."

I am trying to process my application individually.

Pls guide me with these issues.

Thanks

Archived