457 visa to permanent residency

Guest dholden

Guest dholden

Hi,

I obtained a subclass 457 (sponsored) visa 10 months ago and have been working and living in Melbourne. Unfortunately my company is currently making redundancies and although this isn't immediately effect my position at the company, I am concerned that there could be further redundancies or the possibility of the company closing.

I would like to stay in Australia permanently and have therefore been looking at my visa options to mitigate the risk of not being able to stay in Australia in the event of my 457 visa being canceled.

I understand that I can in theory transfer my 457 if I find an employer willing to sponsor me and if the immigration dept. accept my new application, however I feel the time might be right to put in an application for permanent residency.

I believe my only option is to apply for a "Professional and other Skilled Migrants" visa (subclass 175), although this comes under the category of a visa for people not living in Australia I believe I am able to apply whilst working on a 457.

Can anyone advise if this is the best route for me? I believe that if the 175 is approved I would have to leave Australia and re-enter, does anyone have any experience of this?

Additional info: looking at the points system for a 175 I have 120 points or 130 (if I wait until I've worked 12 months in Aus), so it appears I qualify. My professional is computing.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Guest dholden
I dont think the OP can persuade the employer to sponsor him for ens if hes ditching staff, try for anther post mate and swap your 457 for starter

yeah it's not a great time to be asking my employer to sponsor me for longer, plus I should be waiting 2 years into my 457 before applying for sponsored residency I believe.

the option of switching employer with my 457 is of course there, but I can always do that if the worst happens with work. I'm really looking at the long term and if I'm eligible I may just apply for the independent skilled worker visa...just wondering if anyone's in a similar boat.

cheers,

yeah it's not a great time to be asking my employer to sponsor me for longer, plus I should be waiting 2 years into my 457 before applying for sponsored residency I believe.

the option of switching employer with my 457 is of course there, but I can always do that if the worst happens with work. I'm really looking at the long term and if I'm eligible I may just apply for the independent skilled worker visa...just wondering if anyone's in a similar boat.

cheers,

You do not have to be with your emloyer for 2 years before they can sponsor you, although it is a common misconception. Anyway as your company is making people redundant it sounds like a non starter.

So on the 175 option, there is nothing to stop you applying for one of these whilst you are on your 457. It is no problem you lodging it whilst onshore but you would have to make a short hop overseas when it is ready for being granted. In the meantime it could be a good idea to secure your 457 by finding another employer or whatever, just to keep you safe until the 175 comes through.

Oh yes and there is no advantage in having 130 points rather than 120, so don't hang on until you can claim the extr ten points it is just wasting time.

Hi Daniel

Uncanny - your post is pretty much the exact same situation I am in.

Melbourne, been hear 1yr on 457

Company beginning to make redundancies

Looking to get PR

- Whereabouts do you work? Im in CBD if you want to have coffee sometime.

Simon

You do not have to be with your emloyer for 2 years before they can sponsor you, although it is a common misconception.

If you do go for an 856 from a 457 before two years you have to have a skills assessment though? But after two years you dont, as long as you have been with your recent employer for over 1 year. Is that right? I ask because i am in the same situation but luckily my employer is more than willing to sponsor.

Andy

If you do go for an 856 from a 457 before two years you have to have a skills assessment though? But after two years you dont, as long as you have been with your recent employer for over 1 year. Is that right? I ask because i am in the same situation but luckily my employer is more than willing to sponsor.

Andy

Correct.

Guest dholden
Hi Daniel

Uncanny - your post is pretty much the exact same situation I am in.

Melbourne, been hear 1yr on 457

Company beginning to make redundancies

Looking to get PR

- Whereabouts do you work? Im in CBD if you want to have coffee sometime.

Simon

hey, I send you a private message on PomsInOz with my number, let me know if you want to catch up.

cheers

Yup I got it mate. Thanks.

Works pretty mental for me for next 2 weeks.

Would be good to meet after that? Or if your around in the city anytime in the week, around lunchtimes, let me know...

Ill PM you my number later on

Si

Archived