Teacher immigration, already a dual citizen US/UK.

hmsmark

So, a unique situation here.

I have British and US passports, but I've never lived in the UK (parents were Brits). I don't imagine this will be an issue to Australia since the UK and US are both "non-high-risk" nations, but if anyone sees an immigration issue, let me know! I've only been to the UK to visit a handful of times. I'm looking to apply for a 175, but I'm open to suggestions as long as it's permanent residency. I'm not looking for the temporary route, especially with the OZ government getting stingy with visas.

Background: I'm 33 years old. I was educated as a teacher in the US with a Master's degree in Education and have a 4-year BA in Psychology (all BAs in the US are 4-years, but I know things are different in the UK and OZ) and have 3 school years worth of experience teaching secondary school Special Education. I'll be starting my 4th year, at a new school, in August. I am certified to teach, in Illinois, both secondary Special Education and regular education History, a bunch of Social Studies, and English, grades 6-12. I have submitted my skills assessment and am waiting on that.

Now, my main question is: Will I meet the 3-year work requirement for specific work experience as a Secondary Teacher (I need the 60 points, and the 10 extra for 3-years experience)? I've taught secondary school subject matter, but to (mostly) special education students in both the regular education environment and special ed classes, but I've always worked in a regular school and I have taught reg-ed students too. There's the added wrinkle that my education program was a regular education secondary teaching program and I added the special needs endorsement by taking extra classes, so I don't have a degree in special education and probably wouldn't qualify as a special needs teacher (though that field doesn't offer enough points anyway).

Also, I'd like to get this going ASAP. If I get my skills assessment back, say, July 15th and apply, will I qualify for 3-years experience for the extra 10 points? See, in the US, we have a 2 month summer break, which I'm on now. I've taught 3 school years, but that's basically 10 months each year, so I don't want them to come back and say I don't qualify because I've only worked, say, 32 months and not the required 36 months. Of course, it's [almost] impossible to work during the summer months as a teacher. If I have to wait several months into the new school year to apply, I will, but again, I want to get my application going ASAP.

Thanks for any insight anyone has! Sorry this is so complex, but I'm learning immigration issues usually are.

Mark

Archived