Need 457 to PR(175) advice

Guest srach

Hello,

I have been working in Australia on my 457 visa for past 2 years. My contracts ends by end of this year and my employer is not ready to sponsor me for PR. I am planning to apply for independed migrant visa(175). I have following queries:

- do I get any exemption in skills assessment since I have worked in Australia for 2 years?

- is it mandatory to get a band 7 in IELTS to apply independently?

- now that there are going to be changes to points test, is it better to wait till mid 2010 to lodge my application?

- do I need a job offer to apply for PR now?

Thanks in advance

Srach

Hi Srach,

We've become aware recently of a number of medium to large employers who have been happy to maintain employees on subclass 457 visas but unprepared to sponsor them for PR. Some new managerial fad perhaps but I'd have thought they should be named and shamed and brought to the attention of the ACTU, since perpetuating 457s while refusing PR is tantamount to an admission of exploitation.

But to answer your questions:

- do I get any exemption in skills assessment since I have worked in Australia for 2 years?

Not formally - there may be occupations where Australian work experience will make it easier to be skills assessed, for example nurses who have worked here will have state registration and therefore have an easier skills assessment pathway.

- is it mandatory to get a band 7 in IELTS to apply independently?

Depends on how many points you need and which occupation. Doctors, teachers and nurses all have high IELTS requirements built into their skills recognition procedures. Accountants are still being processed more quickly with a high IELTS score.

- now that there are going to be changes to points test, is it better to wait till mid 2010 to lodge my application?

Do you feel lucky? Who knows?

- do I need a job offer to apply for PR now?

Sadly this is now totally irrelevant to a subclass 175 visa.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• 1 year later...
Guest srach

Hi all...

I Came to Oz in 2008 under 457. Worked with previous employer for 2 years and 8 months. I Shifted to a new employer from March 2011, who sponsored me under 457 for 3 years and got visa for 4 years till 2015. Then applied for ENS nomination in May 2011. Still waiting for nomination. Heard a lot about the delay for processing. My company is small who sponsored 457 or ENS for the first time. I am not sure why nomination approval gets delayed. Whether visa application from my side will help in processing faster? I am stresed and looking for advice.

Thanks in advance

Srach

Guest srach

Thank you very much for your kind advices.. I was so relieving for us...

expecting the smae in furture as well..

thanks a lot

Srach

Archived