IELTS expires ...Need help

Rubab

If IELTS validity expires having the application being processed, Shall I be needing to sit for IELTS again?

No, so long as it was valid at the time of application it should be ok. Frankly with the length of time some thigns are tkaing there must be heaps of expired IELTS and skills assessments out there, DIAC does not expect people to start again.

Guest June Pixie

I thought IELTS test were valid for 2 years? I queried this as we have IELTS points within visa. Being a non-native speaker of English, my OH will have better English skills not worse after another 2 years so what's the point of having to re-take that awful test (his words). I think someone will have to clarify this one.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

If the main visa applicant is not a native English speaker, it is compulsory to take the IELTS before applying for the visa and the IELTS result is only valid for 2 years.

The theory behind it is that the main applicant's English may well get worse over 2 years if s/he does not use English every day. In order to treat all visa applicants equally, DIAC assume that only native English speakers will use English every day.

Rubab, the answer to your question depends on whether you are a native English speaker or not? Whether you are or you aren't depends on which passport you hold.

Cheers

Gill

Hi All

If the main visa applicant is not a native English speaker, it is compulsory to take the IELTS before applying for the visa and the IELTS result is only valid for 2 years.

The theory behind it is that the main applicant's English may well get worse over 2 years if s/he does not use English every day. In order to treat all visa applicants equally, DIAC assume that only native English speakers will use English every day.

Rubab, the answer to your question depends on whether you are a native English speaker or not? Whether you are or you aren't depends on which passport you hold.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill for having a look at my post ... Actually I'm not a native English speaker though I work in a Multi National Company where I regularly have to interact with Native speakers. But I don't think that I can prove in anyway other than the IELTS test! So, Shall I have to sit for it once again?

Hi,

I think once you have submitted the valid IELTS you do not need to reappear. Experts please correct me, if I am wrong.

cheers

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Gill for having a look at my post ... Actually I'm not a native English speaker though I work in a Multi National Company where I regularly have to interact with Native speakers. But I don't think that I can prove in anyway other than the IELTS test! So, Shall I have to sit for it once again?

Hi Rubab

You only made your visa application in November 2009. When did you do the IELTS?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Rubab

You only made your visa application in November 2009. When did you do the IELTS?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

I've lodged 23rd October 2009 and end up with uploading PCC and MEds on 26th November as I was asked to on 11th November 2009 by my CO, and my IELTS expires on 12 July this year. I fear if my application takes that much time, shall I be appearing once again?

Thanks,

Rubab

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

I've lodged 23rd October 2009 and end up with uploading PCC and MEds on 26th November as I was asked to on 11th November 2009 by my CO, and my IELTS expires on 12 July this year. I fear if my application takes that much time, shall I be appearing once again?

Thanks,

Rubab

Hi Robab

So you got your IELTS in July 2008, more than a year before you submitted your visa application?

If your dates are correct, I think you will end up having to do your IELTS test again but please note: please wait until nearer July 2010 and then ask the ASPC whether they want you to re-do your IELTS straightaway or whether they want you to wait until your CO requests a new result.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanks,

Rubab

I'm pretty sure english language skills are a 'time of application' requirement not 'time of decision (on your application'. You must have a valid IELTS test report at the time you lodge your application - the date on the report shouldn't be more than two years from the date you lodge.

Fairly positive you won't have to redo your test - unless things have changed in the past two years.

Cheers

Guest gotcha88

i agree with u, otherwise for applicants who have not obtained their visa yet and have their their State Sponsored or skills assessment already expired (which is valid for one yr),

Will they require to apply for another SS or skill assessment? Don't think so.

well, hope not, otherwise this will be CATASTROPHIC!!!!!! :shocked:

I think you will end up having to do your IELTS test again

Gill, I think you are wrong here, can you tell me your source of this information?

By the way, my IELTS is going to expire tomorrow and as far as I remember, my agent told me I don't have to do it again, even though English is not my first language.

Comment from MARA agents would be quite beneficial here.

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill, I think you are wrong here, can you tell me your source of this information?

By the way, my IELTS is going to expire tomorrow and as far as I remember, my agent told me I don't have to do it again, even though English is not my first language.

Comment from MARA agents would be quite beneficial here.

Hi JD

I'm not a migration agent of any sort and have never been one.

There was a huge Law case about the IELTS not long ago.

http://www.ddilawyers.com/

However I'm pretty sure that DIAC and the MRT were only wrong about Students who went on to apply for the onshore visas for PR. They would stay in Oz on Bridging visas. Oz is an English speaking country so in theory their English would only improve, since they must stay in Oz for most of the processing time for an onshore PR visa.

For offshore visas I think it was decided that DIAC are right. The results must be received before the date of the visa application and they are only valid for 2 years at a time, because of the idea that an offshore applicant might either be offshore at the time of the application and stay offshore, or he could make an offshore application whilst in Oz, go offshore the next day and he could then spend the next 2 years' plus in a country which is not English speaking and therefore any English learned in Oz might well become rusty once 2 years or more has elapsed.

I think this is how the reasoning behind the legislation is supposed to work.

However I agree with you that a definitive statement from George Lombard or similar would be useful.

Cheers

Gill

• 3 months later...
Guest thexman700

Greetings,

i have also similar sort of problem,

my ielts is expiring on 8th aug this year

i will definitely apply before (say 20 july)

will the visa offer make objection on this......???

Note: i m applying for tier 4 UK visa..............

Archived