Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kidney transplant recipient question

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep

Kidney transplant recipient question

Hello

I am looking forward to live in Australia but I have a medical condition that could be a problem. After a couple of interviews with local agents we meet the requirements but my medical conditions apparently makes it a big NO!

I received a kidney transplant 2 years ago after kidney failure due to Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS). I am currently very healthy but the cost of my meds is the big problem apparently. The expensiveness of my anti-rejection drugs and the fact that I am bound to suffer kidney failure and the result would make me go into dialysis in the future makes my case very difficult. I read in forums about cases alike that were refused but then accepted after the applicant doctor provided facts about the drugs patents expirations that made them less expensive http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/561096-post6.html.
      Looking on the web and with my meds dosage I calculated a total annual cost of my medicines of aprox $9,189 and $4,104 for generic. These prices are from the web, I guess the cost of them for the Aussie government would be less even less for the generic versions, beside this meds I only need to have a checkup once every year.

Also the Venezuelan healthcare system provides this meds for me and I could have my meds supply for a year shipped to me every year. Since I donít have to resign to my Venezuelan citizenship I believe this could help.

My girlfriend is an architect and wants to do a master in Australia but needs to do an English course first because she will not get the minimum required grade for the English test. We have enough money to cover the expenses and all the proof is available for the immigration office. I would also like to do a master degree, I graduated from international business in USA, however; if me applying for the visa is a problem I can wait for my master degree.

Sorry I know it is too long but I wanted to explain well our situation and see if anyone can give us good info and recommendations on this matter.

Yours truly
      Matac

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      31362 times
      Rep
      Hi Matac
      I am sorry I don't have the answers to your questions, but wanted to wish you luck and say welcome to PIO.
      Kate
      If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Title
      From Bury,Manchester To Jimboomba, Brisbane
      Liked
      10544 times
      Rep
      Who told you no?
      The reason i ask is i have a medical condition that (according to UK speciaist) will require me to have a transplant in the next 10 years. When looking into applying for the visa every agent i spoke to said they couldnt comment on medicals and only immigration can decide the outcome.
      It was suggested that if i was concerned to submit my medical first, albeit it would more than likely mean re-doing them due to the expirey date but at least we would know one way or another before parting with all the visa money and going through the agonising wait of the actual visa process.

We decided to just go for it, glad i did as we have been here 3 and a half happy years now,, good luck with everything and i hope you can sort something

Cal x
      Gollywobbler, guest37336 and matac like this.
      If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...
      If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Thank you Cal; I met with a MA and she told me that the Australian government would most likely reject me due to my medical condition and the cost of my medications. But thanks to Gill (Gollywobbler) i see that at least one person with a case like me got their visa!!!! Hopefully Gill can point me in the right direction.

Good to hear u are now in Australia and i wish you the best!!!

MataC
      calNgary and Gollywobbler like this.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Thank you Kate!!

Title
      PomsInOz Chatter Box
      Liked
      212 times
      Rep
      Hi matac.

calngary is right in what they say. Absolutely no one can make the decision concerning your migration status, especially the meds stage, except the relevant immigration authorities and their appointed representatives. Any MA should of at the very least said this to you. It is not until the meds are done that you will know. Don't give up at this early stage, because of an inappropriate remark made by someone who should of known better. The rest of the advice calngary gives is spot on. Good luck.
      Last edited by guest37336; 31-01-2010 at 06:12 PM.
      calNgary and Gollywobbler like this.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Thanks for the encouraging words A380.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4638 times
      Rep
      Hi Matac

At least one PiO member has had a kidney transplant but now has Permanent Residency in Australia.

I gave you all the links I could think of in my reply to your PM.

Who says that your transplant will definitely fail?

Cheers

Gill

PS: If you want, I can PM you the details for the kidney transplant couple? The hubby isin't on PiO much now but he would get your PM and would probably give you his phone number so that you could ring him?
      Last edited by Gollywobbler; 04-02-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Once again, thank you very much Gill! i would really appreciate if you PM me the details I think that would be a great help.

Thank you for your help once again.

Regards
      Mata

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi all, sorry for falling in through the back door! I am from South Africa and also starting the immigration process with the same problem being my wife had a kidney transplant last year. Gollywobbler wouild you please also pass the information you have on to me? Mata, please if you could, would you keep me in the loop with how you are progressing?

Regards,

Rave.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast