Pre Primary School Teacher - Have you applied and can you help me?

assia

I have applied as a Primary Schopol Teacher (175 visa) but have recently been looking at the Pre Primary School Teacher requirements. My PGCE qualifies me to teach from age 3-11 unfortunatly I have only taught years 3, 4 and 5.

The qualification requirements for Pre Primary seem to be the same as those for Primary so what exactly are the requirements to apply as a Pre Primary School Teacher?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Assia

Hi,

Minimum 7 banda each in IELTS

Basic first aid training,

Native speaker is prioritised,

So far my knowledge is concerned. I also am a secondary and hogher secondary science teacher teaching IGCSE, UCLES etc but in one of the bands,,reading I got just 6.5, so havent been able to apply. Moreover, I havent dont any first aid courses formally. Any ways, u need to get yourself registered in TA.

rEGARDS

I suggest you have a look at the threads there is a lot of information about teaching in Australia. Each State is different as they have State Education Departments. This may change in the future but like everything could take a long long while to get agreement between the State Governments. Therefore you have to decide where you want to go and concentrate on that State.

Australia does need teachers but have to qualify that it does not need teachers in the areas which are nice to live in and have all the facilities and nice areas etc. These positions are easily filled by the local population. Its the more difficult to staff schools and the remote schools that need teachers.

Both my children are teachers my son is a maths science teacher and no problem for him getting a job however by daughter is in humanities and its much more difficult for her to get employment. She is still looking as she needs to live in the city but as I said jobs are hard to find because everyone wants them.

They are both secondary teachers.

Thanks all for your replies. I have actually applied for the 175 visa as a Primary School Teacher, my application was lodged in May 09, I know i am one of many who have a very long wait so have been looking at alternative routes. Pre primary school teachers are in demand and on the CSL for some regions but I have read on the Teaching Australia website that to pass the skills assessment it is compulsory to have most of my experiance in teaching age 3 to 5. As I don't have this I cannot pass the skills assessment for Pre Primary.

So my long wait continues, I feel so frustrated that our life has been put on hold and it's completely unfair. Australia has been a dream for 10 years and when it was our time to apply everything changed!!!!!

• 4 months later...
hi assia, not sure where you are at with your visa hope alls well but i found this useful link that you may want to read, depending on where you want to teach may have an impact on your visa but read this as it maybe useful.

Jobs Guide -Teacher shortage in Australia

that is dated april 2008 and also says primary and they are not on the new SOL list now. Sorry not sure if it is all relevant now.

Guest cherise

Hi there, I am a primary school teacher I have applied for a 176 state sponsored visa (WA) I have a case officer and that's as far as I have gotten, I'm horrified that primary school teaching is off the list just feels like the process is going to be even harder now. I'm currently on a student visa here in Perth awaiting my 176 to come through, Im completing a Diploma in children's services so im hoping that I may qualify as a pre primary school teacher once I have done this course, in case I have to switch to pre-primary.

Good luck I just feel so down and worthless with everything that is going on!!!!

Hope u hear some good news :-)

Archived