Student Visa onto 18 month Temporary Work Visa

wicksy84

Hi all

Just posting for a family member who is looking at ways to gain Australian qualifications with a view to apply for the 18 month temporary work visa after with the hope of passing the new job ready test/assessment after 12 months relevant work experince.

Family member is a mature student over 30 with plenty of work experience but is not on the lists with current occupation. They would like to follow the HR/Personnel/Training Officer route as has some relevant previous experience (not recent enough). We are struggling which route to follow as it seems a Bachelor degree may be required for these positions.

1) If she transferred to Australian Uni and completed a degree there - which temporary visa would apply upon completion. Shes already completed 2 years of a degree and understands she probably wont get full credit transfer. If this route was followed does it have to fulfil the two year study requirement? i.e. must do a further two years at Oz Uni

Or

2) If she studied at Tafe - would the Advanced Diploma level in a relevant subject be sufficient?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wanderer

It's a bit of a tricky issue at the best of times and fraught with danger attempting to identify a course that can lead to a PR visa which is what it is you're looking for I imagine, a bit like knowing the answer to a puzzle but determing which clues fit best and not knowing if rules of the puzzle game will change!

I reckon that if two years of a degree course have already been studied and that's the area of interest, I'd consider completing a degree rather than a diploma.

And then I'd also broaden the outlook from HR/Personnel/Training to look at what are the real career interests more so than attempt to engineer the right course to take.

There're a few personnel type occupations as you may have seen from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf , all seem to come under the Vetassess banner re assessments and there have been some changes introduced for a lot of trade/trade associated occupations assessments so that should not affect assessment for a professional/associate occupation, so OK in that sense to stick in that area if it is of sharp career interest.

If there are other career interests that are wanted to be more avidly followed and the existing degree studies can be adapted, that's what I mean by broaden the outlook and perhaps study towards a more specific skill qualification if possible.

Just my thoughts and there'll be different ones by others.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Wicksy

Happy New Year!!!

Just posting for a family member who is looking at ways to gain Australian qualifications with a view to apply for the 18 month temporary work visa after with the hope of passing the new job ready test/assessment after 12 months relevant work experience.

Don't get confused, hun. The JobReady test being organised by Trades Recognition Australia is for trades skills occupations only. The list of affected trades skills is in the second post by George Lombard on this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/74783-occupations-requiring-recent-work-experience.html

Shes already completed 2 years of a degree and understands she probably wont get full credit transfer.

What is she studying, please? Any graduate or graduand now needs to be aware of the new Vetassess rules, which are here:

Applying for a general professional occupation - VETASSESS

Is her degree subject specific to - or highly relevant to - an occupation which is on the SOL?

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

The SOL is just a list of job-titles, I know. The ASRI list gives a bit more information about the occupations on the SOL:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

The ASCO Code gives detailed descriptions about the occupations on the SOL. Both Vetassess and DIAC would use the ASCO Code in order to work out what somebody actually does for a living, based on the person's description of his/her work duties and that provided by his or her employers:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

The six digit code number for each occupation is provided by ASCO and is copied into both ASRI and the SOL.

It is going to become even more complicated soon because DIAC say that they will dump ASCO (which is 15 years old at least and is obsolete) and switch to the new ANZSCO during 2010:

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1=

At the moment DIAC & Vetassess work to ASCO unless there is doubt which ANZSCO can clarify. ANZSCO is used merely to inform decisions at present rather than being the basis of them as yet but this is likely to change during the course of this year.

Family member is a mature student over 30 with plenty of work experience but is not on the lists with current occupation. They would like to follow the HR/Personnel/Training Officer route as has some relevant previous experience (not recent enough). We are struggling which route to follow as it seems a Bachelor degree may be required for these positions.

She would definitely require a degree for any of the above occupations and according to the new Vetassess rules it would have to be a degree which is relevant to the nominated occupation, in effect.

2) If she studied at Tafe - would the Advanced Diploma level in a relevant subject be sufficient?

If the occupation requires a degree for migration purposes, the answer is that an AQF Advanced Diploma is not a degree. I wouldn't risk it unless the occupation is one for which only an AQF Diploma is required, not a degree.

It is tremendously complicated, I know, especially as from today when the new Vetassess rules commence.

Courses Search

There are Aussie degrees in Human Resource Management nowadays, for example. Vetassess will use the content of those to determine whether an offshore degree is sufficiently closely related to be relevant to the nominated occupation, I suspect.

In your relly's shoes, I would get two people onto the case (one of whom is free!) The first is Stefan Watts of Study Options in London if your relly is British:

Study Options: Free student advice for Australia or New Zealand

If she isn't British and in the UK then please shout. Stefan is an Education Agent and his services are free, plus he is first rate at the job. Stefan does not charge the prospective student anything because he gets a commission from the educational establishments in Oz for introducing the business to them.

The second person I would instruct is George Lombard in Sydney:

Profile | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

George has a first rate pedigree in Aussie Immi Law and he knows senior people in both Vetassess and DIAC should "a chat" become handy, plus George never provides advice unless it is 100% accurate in law.

I would get George and Stefan working together on your relly's case because it might well not be at all straightforward to work it all out.

Cheers

Gill

Archived