Are visas transfered from one expired passport to a new one

Guest daisysky

Guest daisysky

Hi My sons english passport is about to expire and his Aus visa is in it. Would anyone know if this will be transfered into a new one.

Yes and no! When you get the new passport it will not have the visa in, I went along to the immigration office who had stuck the original one in (I'm on a 457) and there was posters everywhere saying visas were now electronic and you no longer needed a sticker. I asked about this and was told 'since you're here we'll give you one', we were heading back to the UK for a holiday and I certainly felt happier having 'proof'.

Where abouts are you? Someone will be able to advise where your nearest immigration office is.

Jules

Guest tonyree

Yes its very possible. These days, that sticker that is put in the passport is called visa evidencing which means its just evidence, the records are kept electronically and should your require the evidence in the new passport you then go to any australian immigration or embassy for the sticker.

However ,you need to notify DIAC of this new passport.

Guest boxtobox

What about if you are in the UK?

I have just sent my passport off to London to have the visa applied, however my passport runs out in November next year. We are going to validate in November this year and don't expect to make the move permanently for at least two years.

This will mean that I have an out of date passport with visa sticker in it and a new UK passport without one in it - is there a way of informing the authorities and the two are linked or is it a case of just carrying two passports around with you?

What about if you are in the UK?

I have just sent my passport off to London to have the visa applied, however my passport runs out in November next year. We are going to validate in November this year and don't expect to make the move permanently for at least two years.

This will mean that I have an out of date passport with visa sticker in it and a new UK passport without one in it - is there a way of informing the authorities and the two are linked or is it a case of just carrying two passports around with you?

You also have to show your visa quite a bit for medicare, driving license so you might just have to carry it around for a bit. its not that much hassle.

Archived