Document checklist: de facto / interdependent partner

Guest nmqpifo

Guest nmqpifo

Hi all

I have lodged my application for a 175 visa and I have a question regarding my de facto relationship requirements...

In the document checklist, I can see 2 items regarding relationships:

- Evidence of de facto relationship

- Evidence of interdependent relationship

The first one is correctly marked as received (I have sent them things like "relationship history declarations" of both of us, household bills, receipts of flights/holidays spent together etc).

However I am puzzled at the second one, which is still marked as required... What should I sent them for that one? What is the difference between them? (I would assume that a de fact relationship is an interdependent one!)

I would be very grateful if anyone could explain that to me... :err:

Thanks!

Luis

Guest Lucky111

An interdependant relationship is between a same sex couple. A defacto relationship is between a man and woman, and legally they have to be different in the visa forms.

You should only be giving evidence for one of the relationship options.

Hope this helps.

Guest nmqpifo

Hello Lucky, thanks for the reply!

We are indeed a same sex couple, however I thought that after the recent changes in the immigration legislation (see Key Changes to Same-Sex Relationships - Legislation & Regulations) the difference between same sex and opposite sex relationships had disappeared.

Maybe the documentation checklist wasn't updated yet to reflect those changes?

In any case, I asked them and they replied saying that, once a CO is assigned to our case he will check if any extra documentation is required... :cute:

Luis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, hope you dont mind me messaging but I am about to apply for a visa (same sex) and I just wondered how you got on? Thanks

Guest nmqpifo

Hi Jennyw,

In fact, I have lodged my application around 1 month ago, and it still waiting in the queue for a case officer... It seems it can take months for your application to be assigned to one!

Once it happens, I can update you on the outcome.

Hopefully it will be fine, especially with the changes in the law that I have mentioned. At least on paper it looks like they are willing to not have any discrimination in that sense and treat everybody as equal. :biggrin:

I wish you good luck!

Luis

Archived