RPL assessment for AQF, anyone been there?

Guest Ed Abi and the boys

Hi to you all.

This is our first post, the trades recognition is our first step on gaining a skilled migrant visa to NSW, Sydney. I have been self employed for 10 years and run a successful landscape design and build company but have no formal qualifications for TRA. I have been told to do the RPL, cost AUD$2,300, to gain a certificate III in Horticulture (landscaping). I have a website Hopkins Gardens, testimonials and portfolios, is there anyway of avoiding the assessment and applying directly to TRA. Can anyone hazard a guess to how long it will take 'till we receive our permanent visa? We feel rather knocked back having made the decision to go. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

We are also getting hubby's skill assessed, he is a spray painter. we are just gathering up references and statements at the minute. I think you must have your level 3 cert or AQF3 before TRA will look at you. That's our understanding anyway. I'm sure there will be others here who can give advice also. Who have been through the whole process. Don't be expecting your visa this year, i think it is better to give yourself a realistic 2-3 year time scale, then you won't be dissapointed. If everything goes to plan you could be looking at a visa in 9-12 months ( thats what our agent told us )but things don't go to plan as i now no. Sorry to be so negative, but i'm sure you want honest answers. But there might be other replys with different experiences. Good luck with it all.

Karen.

Thanks Karen,

We were told 12-18 months by our agent so pretty realistic by the sound of it. Good luck with your move, no doubt catch you later! :smile:

Guest tomatohead

HI ALL , im a self employed ceiling fixer and at first i was going for a TRA skills assessment on work experience only through pathway D , unfortunatly they closed this pathway and i have had to go through the AQF 111 pathway E route which i did with Australian Trade Assessments , if you have worked for yourself you need invoices from suppliers and details of jobs you have carried out , i am not sure if ATA do the trades you are in but im sure they will advise you , the cost that was being touted to me at first was £ 4`750 but ATA did it for £ 1`500

hope this helps tom

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi to you all.

This is our first post, the trades recognition is our first step on gaining a skilled migrant visa to NSW, Sydney. I have been self employed for 10 years and run a successful landscape design and build company but have no formal qualifications for TRA. I have been told to do the RPL, cost AUD$2,300, to gain a certificate III in Horticulture (landscaping). I have a website Hopkins Gardens, testimonials and portfolios, is there anyway of avoiding the assessment and applying directly to TRA. Can anyone hazard a guess to how long it will take 'till we receive our permanent visa? We feel rather knocked back having made the decision to go. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Ed

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Australian Trade Assessments, who Tomatohead used, can organise an AQF III as a Landscape Gardener:

Australian Trade Assessments - Building a Pathway to Australia

ACTS/Tradetrain may be able to do so as well and they have cut their prices considerably this year in the face of competition from ATA:

ACTS UK | Contact Us

It is worth asking Peter Hodges (the UK Operations Manager) whether they do Landscape Gardeners and if so what they charge.)

Otherwise Richard Lynch can organise it but I do not know whether he sends people to the UK:

Recognition Australia, RPL,Horticulture,Business,qualification

$2,300 AUD is a very competitive price, I assure you, assuming that you would not have to travel to Oz.

There is no way round it, unfortunately, in as much as investing in the AQF III would also enable you to get a State Sponsored sc 176 visa which would get you to Oz reasonably quickly, with Permanent Residency from Day One.

Landscape Gardener 4623-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

South Australia offers sc 176 Sponsorship for Landscape Gardners and I suspect will continue to do so even after they publish their new List in July (assuming that they do.) The ACT has been sponsoring for this occupation but they have said there will be a new List on 1st August so we will have to wait to see what that says, I reckon.

The fast, reliable link to all of the State Immigration Dept websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

If you want to save money, can you manage without an agent? Agents only deal with about 20% of all the applications for migration to Oz. Don't take too much notice of hocus pocus aimed at scaring you into paying up!

Cheers

Gill

Guest tomatohead

hi all , something else regarding the AQF 111 , even if there is a route you can take which means you dont need the AQF 111 it is something you will probably need in the end , as a self employed tradesman you will need a license to work in oz ie builders license or a contractors license and the first step to gaining these is the aqf 111 , you dont want to turn up in oz and not be able to work because you havent got the relevant licenses , check what licenses you need to have before you go

all the best tom

• 7 years later...

Archived