student visa, VISA subclass 176 and bridging visa

Guest alexiatelano

Guest alexiatelano

Dear all,

I would need you help to answer my question : Can I get a bridging visa when my student visa ceases if I am applying for graduate skilled visa subclass 176?

- I am a french Civil Engineer ( degree assessed by Engineers Australia)

- I have worked 15 months in Australia as a civil ( water ) engineer, 20h/week

- I am completing my Master of Water Resources Management at the UNISA in July ( after 18 months of studies, not 2 years and that is preventing me from applying for the 886 onshore visa

- %y student visa ceases the 30th of september

- I am fluent in English

- I have a contract to begin a full time job as a civil engineer in August

- My occupation is one the Critical Occupation List of immigration

- I am eligible to be sponsored by SA immigration

As I remember , I had 160 at their point test stuff... However I find nothing on immigration website about offshores visa and eligibility for a brisging VISA ( the only stuff is to hold a substantive visa). Could you help me clarifying if I can get a bridging visa while applying for VISA subclass 176?

Guest Charbel Nehme

A 176 is classed as an offshore visa. While there is nothing in the regulations that prohibit you from applying for the 176 while in Australia, you will need to leave australia when your student visa expires. As on offshore visa, there is no bridging visa facility attached. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If you do not wish to depart, you will need to undertake further studies so that you meet the two year rule. Otherwise, your only option will be to leave the country while your 175/6 is being processed.

Please note, my reply does not constitute a confirmation on my part on your eligibility for a 176. You appear to have been misled (on the bridging visa), and it is advisable you seek a further opinion.

Regards,

Charbel

Guest antonn

- I am completing my Master of Water Resources Management at the UNISA in July ( after 18 months of studies, not 2 years and that is preventing me from applying for the 886 onshore visa

wrong, you only need 16months of study to qualify for 2 years study. And yes you can apply onshore 886 and get bridging visa A while they process your paper.

Just make sure you get state sponsor as well.

gudluck

Guest Charbel Nehme
wrong, you only need 16months of study to qualify for 2 years study. And yes you can apply onshore 886 and get bridging visa A while they process your paper.

Just make sure you get state sponsor as well.

gudluck

Wrong.

Please refer to CRICOS register. His course has a registered duration of 78 weeks. He does not meet the two year rule.

Cheers.

Archived