Who can witness an Oz Stat Dec in the UK?

Guest chosmith

Guest chosmith

Hi there

Does any one know who in the UK can sign and witness an Australian Statutory Declaration? I know in Australia its easy....you just go to the local friendly Chemist/Pharmacist.....but im not sure about the UK?

Thanks

Brad

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Brad

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

If the Stat Dec has been prepared in accordance with Australian Law, containing the Australian boilerplate, whose idea was it to do that, please?

If DIAC sent you the Aussie template and told you to use it then they can't whinge if the Declaration is made according to Aussie Law as well.

Statutory declarations

Please could you explain how the Aussie template came to be used?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest chosmith

Hi Thanks

Yes the DIAC set it to me, so im assuming its Australian law.... Its says "Stat Dec Act 1959".

Whats a boilerplate?

Thanks

Brad

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Thanks

Yes the DIAC set it to me, so im assuming its Australian law.... Its says "Stat Dec Act 1959".

Whats a boilerplate?

Thanks

Brad

Hi Brad

"Boilerplate" is a term lawyers use to describe the Statutory Wording for the Stat Dec.

You have been told to use the Aussie version so anybody on list list can witness the Declaration:

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Statutorydeclaration_Statutorydeclarationsignatorylist

Best wishes

Gill

Hi there

Does any one know who in the UK can sign and witness an Australian Statutory Declaration? I know in Australia its easy....you just go to the local friendly Chemist/Pharmacist.....but im not sure about the UK?

Thanks

Brad

The Australian Head of State is usually resident in the UK.

Statutory Declarations outside of Australia are usually witnessed either by Australian consulate/Embassy staff or else by a Notary Public ( a lawyer of at leat ten years experience as a practice Principal, so appointed, in the UK at least, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, or used to be).

Guest Gollywobbler
Statutory Declarations outside of Australia are usually witnessed either by Australian consulate/Embassy staff or else by a Notary Public ( a lawyer of at leat ten years experience as a practice Principal, so appointed, in the UK at least, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, or used to be).

Hi Les

Solicitors in the UK can be very limp-wristed. They see the Aussie boilerplate and think, "Foreign Law. I am not qualified or competent to do anything involving Foreign Law." The other thing is that Australian Law requires that the witness must not seek to charge anything for the favour. Most British solicitors won't walk to Reception to do the necessary if they are told, "No fiver for you today, chum. You'll have to buy your own beer tonight."

Cheers

Gill

Australian Law requires that the witness must not seek to charge anything for the favour

Australian law does not apply in the UK. Notary Publics can, and do, charge for witnessing documents for use in immigration applications.

Unfortunately they also charge rather more than a fiver.

In Australia when I've had to have documents witnessed here for use in overseas jurisdictions the NPs charge $120 to witness one document. (About 60 quid!!)

Archived