I'd like some advice on our current situation:
My wife and I are both British and live in Brisbane on a Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457)and moved here in May 2008. My wife is pregnant with our first child which is due to be born in late March. We are hoping to travel back to England in mid-July to show her off to friends and family. We are also looking at apply for PR on a Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (subclass 176) as soon as possible - My wife's sister is married to an Australian and is a PR who lives in Adelaide.
From our research we believe the following to be true. However, we'd appreciate any corrects/suggestions etc as to how best to proceed.
When the baby is born she will not be an Australian citizen as we are on a 457 visa. Therefore, we need to register the birth here in Oz and apply for a British passport using the C2 form:
How to apply
Once we have a British passport we need to get her included on a 457 visa like us. At that time she will be able travel (due to having a British passport) and be able to enter back into Australia with us (due to having the 457 visa).
Now a few questions about this:
- Do we just register the birth like anyone else in Australia - i.e. get an Australian birth certificate? Or do we need to register the birth anywhere else e.g. the British High Commission? In form C2, Q1a asks: "Was the child born in a foreign country and the birth registered at a British Consulate".....what does this mean? Q1b continues: "Was the child registered as a British citizen"....again what does this mean? Surely, she will be a British citizen by birth as both parents are British? We're a bit confused how section 1a and 1b should be filled out
- Who should we use as the countersignatory in section 8, since we will have only been in Oz for 10 months at the time she is born? We're thinking that a senior person at the sponsoring company (CSIRO) may suffice?
- How do we go about getting her the 457 visa status? Is there a charge? Does our sponsoring company need to do/sign/agree to anything?
Now for the 176 PR visa application....
we already have a positive skills assessment from VETASSESS. and just need to get the application sent in. Or
My questions about this aspect are:
- Can we get the wheels in motion NOW before our baby arrives? Then once the baby arrives can we have her added to the application once we've got a british passport and 457 visa for her?
- Will we have to wait until we have the passport and 457 visa in hand BEFORE applying for the 176 PR visa so she can be included in the application from the start?
Nathan and kate