RSMS Visa (119/857)...Any advice?

Guest whitleybairn

Guest whitleybairn

Hi there,

New to the forum, so please excuse if these question has been asked before.

I have just been offered a permanent job in Oz with an agency of the Aussie government in Canberra. The visa option that is being pursued is the RSMS option (119/857). The empoyer has lodged their nomination form with the ACT government and the DIAC for approval and, once granted, I can start the visa application process in earnest. I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the following.

1. How long is the process likely to take? I am desperate to move over there and don't think I could face another year in my current job in the UK.

2. Is it worth using a migration agent? The job is guaranteed, as long as the visa is issued, and I was just wondering if they would assist in any way to make the whole process quicker and give a bit more peace of mind, or would it be a waste of money? Any recommendations of good agents?

3. I am compliing all the necessary documentation to lodge the visa application as soon as the nomination is approved. Where is the best free place to get certified copies of documents? I have previously had copies certified at my bank, is this acceptable for application to Oz?

4. When is the best time to get the Meds done? My wife and I are thinking of starting a family and I don't want pregnancy to delay getting x-rays done? Is it possible to have the Meds done before lodging a visa application?

I will probably have more questions over the coming weeks and months, but any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

Hello Scott,

I under went the RSMS process last year. I was offered a job in Feb and was granted a visa in Aug so about 7 months. However I wasn't in a particular hurry so delayed things somewhat as I didn't want to go out until Oct.

I didn't use an agent, as long as you don't mind loads of form filling the process is pretty straightforward. If you want to cut the time down I would recommend doing the meds and police check pretty early on.

Regarding certification I worked in Local government in the Uk and got the Council's solicitor to do it. My case officer was pretty good at giving advice on things like that.

Good luck, if you have any more questions give me a shout.

Chris

Guest the dobbas

hi scott

we are going with the rsms visa ( hairdresser ) . we used an agent but i think i could have done it my self .we also had our our medicals before our visa was lodged ( unintentional our agent cocked up our paperwork ) but it was ok as they are valid for 1 year police checks valid for 6 months.

the agent told us it would take 5-7 months however a friend told me it is only about 11 weeks. we lodged our visa on 5 dec 08 and was told by our agent they had an e-mail on mon 6-1-09 saying they were checking our medicals further ( son is diabetic ) and they would let us know in about 2weeks if our visa application is sucssesfull so it is only going to take about 8 weeks. our agent cannot belive how quick they have been but it might be that from 1-1-09 the diac said that employer sponsored of visas are being given priority and fast tracked.

good luck:jiggy:

dobba

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Scott

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

1. How long is the process likely to take? I am desperate to move over there and don't think I could face another year in my current job in the UK.

From 1st January 2009, ENS and RSMS visas are being given absolutely top priority processing so once you make your visa application you should get your visa within one to two months.

2. Is it worth using a migration agent? The job is guaranteed, as long as the visa is issued, and I was just wondering if they would assist in any way to make the whole process quicker and give a bit more peace of mind, or would it be a waste of money? Any recommendations of good agents?

It is unlikely that a Govt Agency would get its own end of the process hopelessly wrong an they would automatically be considered to be OK as the employer, plainly. Plus there are no circumstances in which they would put up with a third party private practitioner migration agent trying to tell them how to do their end of the job.

So that really only leaves the question of whether you feel you could cope with your end of the enterprise on your own. Have you studied the bumph on the DIAC website about it? If not, it is here:

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

Employer Sponsored Migration Booklet - Australian Immigration

I would suggest that you study the employee's end of the whole thing carefully and if you believe you can manage on your own then do so. It is not rocket science in a situation like yours.

4. When is the best time to get the Meds done? My wife and I are thinking of starting a family and I don't want pregnancy to delay getting x-rays done? Is it possible to have the Meds done before lodging a visa application?

Yes it is possible but the meds will not necessary be processed straightaway. It is more likely that the Health Operations Centre in Sydney would simply hang on to the meds pending confirmation that the visa application has arrived and is in the pipeline:

Health Operations Centre

Bear in mind that an RSMS visa would give you Permanent Residency in Oz from Day One. If Baby is then born in Australia, Baby would automatically be an Australian Citizen by birth and British by descent. Also you are planning to move to the other side of the world fairly soon. Would it be better to get the big move out of the way before you embark on the uncertainty of a first pregnancy not knowing whether your wife might feel as sick as a dog and/or bone weary throughout her pregnancy?

As a matter of interest, what is your occupation, please? I am curious about what you are actually going to be doing in Canberra?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest whitleybairn

Thanks for all your responses guys. It's much appreciated. I'm hoping to hear that my nomination has been approved shortly, so if visa applications are being dealt with as priority for ENS and RSMS, I might just have to be in Oz that bit quicker...:-)

As you said Gill, dealing with a Government agency should hopefully be reasonably straightforward and I don't think it's going to be that difficult to fill in the forms myself. The HR person I'm dealing with is really helpful and they've recruited a few people from the UK in the last three or four years, so it's a well-trodden path. My biggest concern was the timescales. In my offer of employment stuff that I got (in early December), it said that the visa process can take up to a year, but that was before 1st Jan, so hopefully should be less than that now!

My wife and I are assessing our options re timings for family. As with everything, it's more complicated than it appears...and don't want to post it on here, if that's OK.

In terms of my occupation, I currently work in the pharmaceutical industry. I've been looking for a career change for a couple of years and I've been quite lucky that I've managed to do that and hopefully get to Oz in the same move. I will be working for the Patent Office should it all go to plan.

Cheers,

Scott.

Hi Scott and All,

I'm very glad to have found this thread as I'm in the same situation as the Topic Starter, probably offered the job in the same recruitment drive, and i'm hazarding - the same interviewers we had at our locations across the globe!

My recruitment co-ordinator obtained my CV, biopage of passport & evidence of qualifications in late November, and I assume those are for Steps 1-2 of the 3-step RSMS process, the last of which is of course the visa application by the applicant. I hope these 2 steps are already in progress and I am checking my inbox daily to commence my medical/police clearance etc.

By the way, I was told that there will be 3 commencement dates for training in 2009 - namely in Feb, June and Aug. We will most probably not be in time for the Feb class. Which means it will be at least 3.5 more months to "throwing the letter" (a slang in my locality for submitting the resignation) with a 1-month notice.

Will be back for more useful inputs and advice by the forumers here. Pls share your experiences for future applicants as 1st-hand RSMS information is very rare on the WWW - though i'm still trying out various combinations of search keywords on Google.

Thanks and regards-rhysse

Guest whitleybairn

Rhysse,

Wow! It's a small world isn't it? Anyhow, it's good to have someone on board doing exactly as I'm doing. Where are you from? It might be a good idea if we can let each other know how our respective applications are going/timings/things to do/not do etc...

I would love to be out for June, but that might be too soon. August might be more realistic as I am supposed to give three months after I "throw the letter".

PM me if you want.

Regards,

Scott.

Looking at Form 1054: Employer Nomination under the RSMS, on page 4's right hand column on Migration agent information, it seems that the recruitment co-ordinators with whom i've been liaising fit the description of a migration agent (exempt agents). Thus as much as i want to hasten the process & also pay a fee willingly i don't think i should do it in case i jeopardise the conventional flow. Otherwise, ask the HR personnel who you've been liaising with?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sunilke

Hello Scot,

I am also going through the same process as you mentioned. I will also be working with the patent office. I was offered the job in late nov08. The last information I have is that the employer has lodged the 1054 nomination with DIAC and waiting for the reply.

Please keep posing the progress and thanks for this thread.

sunilke

Guest sunilke

Hi Rhysse,

I think I am also selected in the same recruitment drive you mentioned. I am from Singapore. Just inform you that, I was told by the employer to be ready with the police clearance as it is time consuming in some places. For example I applied for a Malaysian police clearance on 17th Dec08 and still waiting. So it’s a good idea to apply for this even before knowing the out come of nomination.

Thanks,

sunilke

Hi Sunilke,

I am most definitely from the same recruitment drive as you; and from Singapore too! I too was offered the job in late nov08 and the last i heard from the employer was that they have yet to hear back from RCB regarding the certifying of my nomination. I understand that this is just the first step. Things look like they are going extremely slow and I am worried that the visa will take 12 months to process (as warned in the offer package received!). Glad to have found someone going through the same thing as me.

Scott, thanks so much for this thread! You have no idea how long I've been sulking around the internet trying to look for more information.

Guest the dobbas

hi all

just to let you guys know we sent our application ( 119 rsms ) with police checks by dhl (medicals were sent by doctor ) on the 5 dec 08 we got word to say they were received 19 dec 08 thought nothing would happen till after xmas. then on the 30 dec we received word from sydney that they wanted more medical info as son is diabetic this was posted early jan 09 . we then rang our case officer in adelaide ( about 20 jan 09 ) to ask if there was any news and he informed us everything was ok and as soon as he got the ok from sydney the visa would be approved our visa was granted 5 feb 09 yipeee. so alltogether it took about 2 months but we had xmas holidays and extra medical info to send so it is very quick. i hope this helps you guys with time frames

good luck

dobba

Guest the dobbas
Hi dobbas,

Thanks for this post.

Would you mind telling how long the Nomination approval took?

regards,

hi it took about

2 weeks very quick

dobba

Guest whitleybairn

Hi Dobba,

Congratulations on getting the Visa! Great news. It's good to hear that these things are only taking about 2 months now.

Everyone else who's joining the Patent Office,

The nomination time, I think depends on which state is approving, although someone may say otherwise. I've been in touch with the HR person at the patent office who is looking after things (they may or may not be the same person), and she said nominations are normally approved within 8 weeks. 4 weeks at the certification board and 4 weeks at immigration. I know my paperwork was passed to immigration on 15 January 2009, so it should be back soon. The last lot of nominations she had with DIAC were processed in a month.

I have also been in touch with a future colleague at the patent office. Her nomination took about 8 weeks in total. I think we also have to bear in mind that this is a reasonably large recruitment campaign...50 people or so from all over the globe...and I think they wait until everyone's paperwork is sorted until they let everyone know what's happening.

In the meantime, just get everything ready to send the visa application. Fill in all the forms you can, get your degrees certified as equivalent to Australian ones, if necessary, (this can take about 6 weeks and I'm doing this now) through Vetassess or NOOSIR, get police checks done etc etc. Then as soon as the nomination is approved, get the meds organised.

Scott.

Hi All,

I got an email yesterday informing me the Nomination Approval is completed! It took about 10 weeks, from 1st week Dec when I accepted the offer & sent in all information requested by my employer.

And my visa application processing is done at the ACT office, not our local Australian embassy (as indicated in Form 47es). I am told in the email to lodge 47es soon. I have several questions that I'm going to check with them, but have not come up with a complete list. Here are some that you guys may know what to do with -

1. Is any clinic OK for the medical checkup, and is there a specific set of tests to complete for this purpose? How do we inform the clinic or is it understood by them what to do?

2. Costs - Of medical, visa application etc - we will have to pay first then get reimbursement, or? I remember reading that these costs will be absorbed.

3. Proof of experience/qualifications - for your current job do you get a letter from your employer certifying your employment or would the offer letter for this job (probably from many years ago) be sufficient? I'm hesitating the former as i wish to keep this low.

4. Sending in by post, not electronically i guess?

Thanks for any advice.

To answer some of your questions:

1. Medicals will have to be done by one of their panel clinics so you'll have to get a list from them (I remember reading this somewhere in the immigration website). -->> since you're outside Australia, you do not need to do your medicals before submitting 47ES. They will advise you later on whether it is required. (from instructions in 47ES)

2. In the offer packaged they sent over, it stated that the costs of medical and those associated with the visa application will be reimbursed to a limit of a few thousand dollars. I'm not sure if it's the same amount for everybody, but I don't think it will cover the full amount. We will definitely have to pay first.

3. The HR person I'm liasing with told me that proof of experience is my resume. You may want to doublecheck that with your HR person.

I found this link extremely helpful. You may want to check it out.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

Hope this helps! =)

Guest whitleybairn
Hi All,

I got an email yesterday informing me the Nomination Approval is completed! It took about 10 weeks, from 1st week Dec when I accepted the offer & sent in all information requested by my employer.

And my visa application processing is done at the ACT office, not our local Australian embassy (as indicated in Form 47es). I am told in the email to lodge 47es soon. I have several questions that I'm going to check with them, but have not come up with a complete list. Here are some that you guys may know what to do with -

1. Is any clinic OK for the medical checkup, and is there a specific set of tests to complete for this purpose? How do we inform the clinic or is it understood by them what to do?

2. Costs - Of medical, visa application etc - we will have to pay first then get reimbursement, or? I remember reading that these costs will be absorbed.

3. Proof of experience/qualifications - for your current job do you get a letter from your employer certifying your employment or would the offer letter for this job (probably from many years ago) be sufficient? I'm hesitating the former as i wish to keep this low.

4. Sending in by post, not electronically i guess?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Rhysse,

Glad to hear your nomination has been approved. Hopefully the rest should be through in the next few days. I think I'm a few days behind you in terms of when docs were submitted to immigration etc.

To answer some of your questions and from what I know already.

1. Yes, you must use a panel doctor. The cost of medicals depends on who you use. I know for me in my clinic in my part of the UK, the cost is about GBP150 for the medical. Then you'll need a chest X-ray. Mine is about GBP35. The you'll need an HIV test. Mine is about GBP30. You may need a Hep-B test also. I don't think I do, but my wife does. This is about GBP35 also. So in total it's about GBP220-250 per person.

2. Visa application cost is AUD1420 if you are outside of Australia (Employer Sponsored Permanent Visa Charges), AUD2105 if currently in Australia. There is no nomination fee for RSMS. And that's about it unless your English is less than functional...clearly not, though :-).

3. Yes, your CV should be adequate for your experience. I guess none of us are Patent Examiners at present (I may be wrong). We are all getting training.

4. I think it's all done by post. I think only sub-class 457 visas can be done electronically. I would recommend using a courier to send it. A bit more expensive, but worth it. Then it should only take 3-4 days to get to Canberra.

Just get everything together that you can. The forms are actually quite straightforward, if not a little lenghty. I was off ill from work a couple of weeks ago and was so bored I filled in all the forms! Have you applied for Police checks yet? This can take a while depending on where you are. It takes about 10 working days in the UK.

You may have received an email this morning regarding accreditation of degrees. Your visa is not necessarily dependent on this, don't delay sending your visa application waiting on this coming back.

Regards,

Scott.

1. There is an approved list of doctors, i think it's on the immigration website. Shop around there is a big variation in prices.

2. I paid about £400 for a family of 4. I think reimbursement depends on your job offer.

3. Depends on job i guess, the fact that my employer was vouching for me was enough in my case.

4. Yes post

Good luck

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Very happy to have found this thread coz I am also heading for the same position at the Patents Office after being interviewed in Singapore. Thanks a lot for all the useful information on this thread!

Cheers,

Joce

Archived