Visa for new baby when already in Oz??

Guest Sereena

Guest Sereena

Wondered if anyone can help me out with a query my husband & I have...

We already live in Oz - been here about 7mths now, so obviously not citizens yet, but we are thinking of having baby number 2 (god help us!) What we want to know is: if it arrives before we have been here the 2 yrs we need to to get citizenship do we have to get it a visa? It seems odd if we do as obviously it will have been born here, but then what passport does it get too? If we have to go all through the visa process again for the baby (even though we're already here) then we might have to put it off a bit! Any help gratefully received! Thx :spinny:

If you are a permanent resident then I dont think you need to worry about a visa for any new child who is born here, they will be Australian citizens Citizenship by birth

However if you want your child to have a UK passport then they will be British by descent only and therefore not able to pass on their UK citizenship to any children they may have.

Guest guest17520

Hi Sereena,

I am here on a 457 visa and had my little girl 1 yeard ago. She also now has a 457 visa, which, effectively means she could probably get a job!

The baby will automatically get the same visa as you, so if you are a resident the baby will also become a resident, if you are a student the baby will have to get a student visa etc.

The process is quick and easy just fill out the form and send it off, it doesn't take too long, nothing really to check except birth certificate etc.

Apply for a UK passport for the baby as soon as she/he is born because they won't give the baby a visa until they can stamp the passport and in turn they will not give the baby medicare card until they see the visa stamp. It's a stupid process but that's what you have to do.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Archived