Online 176 application doesn't recognise previous visa number

Guest HarryGeorge

Guest HarryGeorge

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone could help. We have got as far as the online application for a 176 and it asks the Q whether you have been to Australia before. Having been for 4 months in 1991 on a working visa (class 141) I tick yes. It asks me for the visa number without the V and the A characters, which leaves 10 digits. I put these in and it says invalid number format.

I guess the Q I have is whether I am being dumb, and/or whether a visa issued in 1991 is relevant to the system because at the moment I'm stuck? Feel uncomfortable with bypassing the question just to get around the issue.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve

I have no idea about whether your previous visa is relevant or not, but I have gained the impression from this site that in general, the more info you can provide the better.

On that basis, I think I would just ender the digits (if what you are saying is that they are accepted as a valid number???) and write a short covering note to go with the form, explaining what sort of visa it was etc.

Although, they may be able to tell just from the number????

Guest HarryGeorge

The visa is a class 414 (not 141, sorry) for a temporary resident.

The visa number line reads "V670<0219132A1..." followed by my personal details. It asked for 10 digits and there are 10 digits between the letters V and A.

The system rejects 6700219132 as an invalid format. I tried this three times, so I don't think it was a mistype.

Hi Harry,

It's most likely that the visa number format of your grant wasn't programmed into the online lodgment system. I don't think this is a problem and would suggest you just scan in the visa label as one of your attachments rather than fiddle with the number. I assume btw that you've left out the > symbol.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest HarryGeorge

Thanks George, that kinda makes sense. Do I need to say no the the "previous visa" question as I will get in a loop if I say yes and cant provide the correct number format?

Guest HarryGeorge

George, you are a star. If I enter all the visa data excluding the number it accepts the form. I will attach the visa separately. Many Thanks

Guest HarryGeorge

Hi Peter,

That's most helpful, thanks. I have updated the form to include the visa number with an A suffix.

Steve

• 4 months later...
Guest anastasia
Hi Peter,

That's most helpful, thanks. I have updated the form to include the visa number with an A suffix.

Steve

Thanks a lot for this post. I had exactly the same problem. Thanks for the answer!! :notworthy:

Archived