help with emigrating

Guest lynne_2008

Guest lynne_2008

my husband is 61 in a couple of days and i am 53, we would love nothing more than to live in australia for the remainder of our lives, but it looks like our age is against us. my two daughters are planning on moving to australia and we want to stay together as a family. my husband has a full 7 years indentured apprentiship, and has worked on just about every type of ship engine there is, including gas turbine. we are both very fit and active, and have no intention of retiring at retirement age. i know my husband could pass on his knowledge to others if given a chance, and at the same time build up a business of his own, servicing and repairing small boat engines, which my son would join him in when he leaves school. i hate it here now, and i want to be able to tell my family that we can stay together, is there anyone that can help me find a way for us all to emigrate, i know we will all be an asset to australia if given the chance.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Lynne

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Parent migration might become a possiblity for you and OH in due course:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

The Balance of Family Test is the central plank of Parent migration:

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

Would this option work for you, please?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest matureone
my husband is 61 in a couple of days and i am 53, we would love nothing more than to live in australia for the remainder of our lives, but it looks like our age is against us. my two daughters are planning on moving to australia and we want to stay together as a family. my husband has a full 7 years indentured apprentiship, and has worked on just about every type of ship engine there is, including gas turbine. we are both very fit and active, and have no intention of retiring at retirement age. i know my husband could pass on his knowledge to others if given a chance, and at the same time build up a business of his own, servicing and repairing small boat engines, which my son would join him in when he leaves school. i hate it here now, and i want to be able to tell my family that we can stay together, is there anyone that can help me find a way for us all to emigrate, i know we will all be an asset to australia if given the chance.

Hi Lynne, we moved to the Gold Coast in February this year after living in Spain for 6 years, our only two children were already in Oz, and our daughter had been here over four years so she could sponsor us and of course we passed the balance of family test. However it still cost us $57,000 for the second visa charge and $14,000 in sonsorship, so it is not low cost option.

The job situation is currently slowing down her as well not that it affects us as we are retired.

If you have the cash you can always reire here if can be self supporting..but big money

cheers

Matureone

Guest jewels1356

what about a retirement visa or i dont know your sitiation but as your under 55 thier are other visas available good luck

julie

xxx

Thank You, unfortunately I have 5 kids and only 2 would be going over to Australia before us, but thank you.

Hi Lynne, My Uncle and Aunt have moved to Perth and they are a lot older then you are! They have 2 kids. 1 in South Africa and the one in Perth that has sorted their visa out for them, so there must be a way around the 2 OZ / 3 UK Kids problem, but as Mature one said it cost my Cousin a wack of cash

Guest lynne_2008

Thank you very much for all your help, as yet we don't have family out there, but my daughter is in the process of moving out there. My husband is looking for a job in the ship building industry to do with ships machinary, we are hoping to try and find names of companies to send his CV to, no luck so far though.

Again thank you for all the help

Lynne

Guest Gollywobbler
Thank you very much for all your help, as yet we don't have family out there, but my daughter is in the process of moving out there. My husband is looking for a job in the ship building industry to do with ships machinary, we are hoping to try and find names of companies to send his CV to, no luck so far though.

Again thank you for all the help

Lynne

Hi Lynne

The only visa which is really aimed at a couple in your situation is the subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa if you can afford it and can meet the other criteria for it (eg none of your children are still dependent on you):

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

However although the sc 405 holder is permitted to "work" for 20 hours a week, the idea is to keep him out of the meanstream workforce, so this "work" is supposed to be voluntary or in the nature of counting the visa holder's own shekels - eg managing his different investments.

If you are really rolling in loot, having won the lottery or whatever, then there is another way to do it, based on a Student Visa followed by an Established Business visa but it is NAFFING expensive so it is not even worth thinking about it unless you could afford the criteria for the visa and the risks of the business:

Established Business in Australia (Subclass 845)

Established Business in Australia (Subclass 845)

From everything you have said, though, Hubby's future business ambitions are on a significantly smaller scale than the sc 845 visa would envisage, probably.

Is there any chance of a third child of yours wanting to migrate either now or at any time in the future, so that you would be able to meet the Balance of Family Test for Parent migration? That is the least expensive of the options above but it does depend on the BOF test, which is applied rigidly.

I live in the UK so this next bit is not based on personal experience, but people claim that ageism is rife in the workforce in Oz and that older applicants have a job to get a crack at the whip at all. If so then although there is technically no upper age limit on the temporary subclass 457 employer-sponsored visa, in practice a company which is large enough to be eligible to act as the sponsor would be unlikely to be interested in doing so, I suspect:

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Sponsoring a Temporary Overseas Employee to Australia

Also, it is only a temporary visa which in your case would never provide a pathway to Permanent Residency in Australia. The chances are that you would have to leave Oz within 2-4 years anyway. Would that be worth it?

It is an unfortunate fact that the way the Australian Government sees this is that it has a big enough ageing population of its own, without importing migrants to swell the ranks and the attendant burdens on the public health system etc. They will just about accept a migrant's Parents provided that the BOF can be met but even then the numbers of visas that can be granted each year are tightly rationed.

The inevitable result is that many, many migrants have to accept that one of the consequences of their own migration is going to be the breaking up of the familiar family unit. Your two children who wish to migrate will need to give serious thought to this because it is the most probable result for your family.

It is a horrible situation but the Australian Government is not interested in my opinions about it, unfortunately.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived