Medical Question - Polycystic Kidney Disease

theowens

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of passing medicals with polycystic kidney disease (PKD), we recently discovered my wife's mum has this condition, she is 55 and it doesnt really affect her she just has to have regular check ups, however it may lead to her having to go on kidney dialysis or kidney transplant.

Since PKD is a genetic condition that can be inherited - therefore my wife has a 50/50 chance of having PKD, and if she does so do our two children have an equal chance. My wife doesn't want to have a scan to see if she has PKD as although it can lead to a life threating disease, there isnt anything that you can do now to prevent it so she thinks why worry.

The thing is does she have to declare this information in her medical (our visa application was only submitted last week so its a way off yet)? I have looked at the medical forms and can't find any reference to declaring known medical conditions of parents. There is a section for "Kidney or bladder disease" - where she can truthfully respond "No", she hasn't been diagnosed with any kidney or bladder disease neither has she shown any sysmptoms. None of the medical tests would show if she has it - only genetic testing or kidney scans would show it up (if she had it).

If she does have to declare this information, then I guess she is best having the test to see whether she does have it or not. That way we can hopefully find out she doesnt and then its fine, but if she does does anyone have any experience of passing the medical with this condition.

Sorry for the long post, any advice welcome

Rob

We weren't asked anything about family medical history at our medical and you are right - there isn't anything on the forms that ask this so I would say you are in the clear. Obviously if your wife chose to have the test and then failed to disclose the result that would be a different matter.

Guest ROB & PEN
Hi,

Has anyone any experience of passing medicals with polycystic kidney disease (PKD), we recently discovered my wife's mum has this condition, she is 55 and it doesnt really affect her she just has to have regular check ups, however it may lead to her having to go on kidney dialysis or kidney transplant.

Since PKD is a genetic condition that can be inherited - therefore my wife has a 50/50 chance of having PKD, and if she does so do our two children have an equal chance. My wife doesn't want to have a scan to see if she has PKD as although it can lead to a life threating disease, there isnt anything that you can do now to prevent it so she thinks why worry.

The thing is does she have to declare this information in her medical (our visa application was only submitted last week so its a way off yet)? I have looked at the medical forms and can't find any reference to declaring known medical conditions of parents. There is a section for "Kidney or bladder disease" - where she can truthfully respond "No", she hasn't been diagnosed with any kidney or bladder disease neither has she shown any sysmptoms. None of the medical tests would show if she has it - only genetic testing or kidney scans would show it up (if she had it).

If she does have to declare this information, then I guess she is best having the test to see whether she does have it or not. That way we can hopefully find out she doesnt and then its fine, but if she does does anyone have any experience of passing the medical with this condition.

Sorry for the long post, any advice welcome

Rob

HI

Go to page 4 of this thread and view ROB & PEN medicals hope it helps

Archived