What does the medical entail?

Guest Nicole7

Guest Nicole7

Hi,

I am new to this site, and we are thinking of emigrating to Oz, as I have just qualified as a Social Worker. What does the medical entail? And what questions are asked?

Thanksx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Nicole

Welcome to Poms in Oz

I ahve moved your post out of Lynn's thread and gieb you a thread of your own because you are asking a different question from Lynn's.

Are you simply curious about the meds generally? If so, please see the following link:

Health Requirements for Visa Applicants

If you have a known medical condition that you are concerned about, then which visa you are applying for becomes relevant. The reason is because a waiver of the health criteria is often possible with a Spouse visa, but this is not possible with a skilled visa that would grant Permanent Residency In this second situation, the meds question may need careful consideration.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Nicole we did our medicals about a month ago, you have your chest x-rays and blood taken first. Our medicals consisted of eyes checked, then the doctor whispered and you had to say what you could hear. Breathing was checked, and then he prodded around my tummy. Last was the reflexes. It was all ok, bit worried at the time cause i had never had a medical so i didn't no what to expect. Hope this helps

Tania X

hiya, I had mine a couple of weeks ago, saw the nurse first who took some blood and did a urine sample, gave me an eye test and took my blood pressure. Doc then listened to my heart and lungs, checked inside my eyes and ears, checked my reflexes on my arms then I had to lie on the bed thing and he prodded my stomach, did a hernia test and checked my reflexes on my legs, then I went for a chest xray at the hospital.

Was all fine and was over in a couple of hours inc waiting time. Dont worry it will be fine!

Guest TheLanes

Does anyone know what happens with children at these medicals? We have a 4 year old who will require a med and one on the way due in October - don't really want docs taking blood and proding them about too much!

Does anyone know what happens with children at these medicals? We have a 4 year old who will require a med and one on the way due in October - don't really want docs taking blood and proding them about too much!

Children under the age of 15 are not required to have the blood work done. The main reason for the bloodwork is to test for HIV.

My girls are 14 so I can't answer too much for the younger ones, they just had to have a chest xray done, then at the medical they just checked hearing, eyesite, blood pressure (they were over the age of 12) and reflexes and a little prodding of the belly. Not very envasive at all. Overall meds took 2 1/2 hours for a family of four and that included getting the chest xrays done and blood work for OH and myself. It is not really that bad.

Karen

Archived