Reapplying for 189 visa after previous PR visa expired

ahwai2006

Hi there,

Just want to see whether I can apply for 189 Visa if my previous PR visa is expired.

My wife and I applied for skilled independent visa and were granted a PR visa 10+ years ago. Unfortunately, due to unexpected family issues, we failed to fulfil the 2-year requirement and left Australia. With the PR visa expired for more than 7 years, I really don't think I myself have enough compelling reaons to get a RRV.

If we wanted to migrate to Australia now:

1. can we apply for 189 Visa again?

2. if we go for 189 visa application, do we need to do anything about the previous PR visa?

3. And how will our previous PR situation affects the new application?

Thanks.

1. can we apply for 189 Visa again?

Yes, although you'll need to check your current eligibility. Whatever skills result you obtained would now be expired.

2. if we go for 189 visa application, do we need to do anything about the previous PR visa?

You would be making an entirely new application.

3. And how will our previous PR situation affects the new application?

It shouldn't have any bearing on the new application. immigration will be aware of it of course, but the new application will be assessed on its own merits.

As you say, an RRV is not realistically an option now if you have no compelling ties to Australia, you didn't meet the two year requirement and the visa itself expired seven years ago. However, as Verystormy says, it doesnt do any harm to take a punt at it, apart from spending a few quid...

Regards,

Richard