Lost passport / previous visa information

gcaseyswift

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me.

I'm applying for a working holiday visa and on the form it asks if I've ever had a visa before. When I was 10 years old I immigrated to Australia with my mother as she met an Aussie bloke, marrying him soon after we arrived. I have no idea what visa I had (neither does my mother) but I need to somehow figure it out.....

I'm aware I can contact the Australian government but I'm planning on coming out for Christmas and I'm worried it's going to take too long to process. I also have no idea where my first ever passport is.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks so much,

Gemma

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me.

I'm applying for a working holiday visa and on the form it asks if I've ever had a visa before. When I was 10 years old I immigrated to Australia with my mother as she met an Aussie bloke, marrying him soon after we arrived. I have no idea what visa I had (neither does my mother) but I need to somehow figure it out.....

I'm aware I can contact the Australian government but I'm planning on coming out for Christmas and I'm worried it's going to take too long to process. I also have no idea where my first ever passport is.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks so much,

Gemma

Step one: Find out your immigration status. If you were a permanent resident as a child, you might be able to recover this status, but possible not if you are granted an further visa.

I'd begin by calling the Europe Service Centre to find out if they have anything on the system:

http://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/IMMI_contact.html

You obviously had a visa, otherwise you would not have been able to stay in Australia. Your visa should have been the same as your mum's. Can you not find out which visa your mum had? Maybe she has kept her old passport or records?

The other option is to request your Movement Details. This may also help. This lists all entry/exits and the visa/passportyou would have had at the time. Here is the correct form and it should come through quite quickly:

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1359.pdf

(The address to which the form should be emailed is on the first page).