Help please. Just found out we are pregnant

Barry1986

Your wife will be required to complete a medical check, including chest x-ray. It's usually not recommended to have a chests x-ray while pregnant, but that's something you and she should discuss with your doctor. If you go ahead and the visa is granted, she will need to enter Australia by the Initial Entry Date so that's something to consider and also check any restrictions airlines may have on traveling while pregnant. Flying at 6 months pregnant would normally not be a problem.

It is generally not recommended to have an x ray in the first trimester, as that's when the cells are rapidly multiplying, and are at a greater risk of getting 'ionised' and developing into unhealthy cells. A good radiographer will always do their best to reduce the area exposed to the xrays so that is does not extend to the foetus. Lead rubber apron is not usually required as it can cause "back scatter" and do more harm than good.

Wait until after the baby and then see how you feel. Your wife might not want to be having a child in the other side if the world away from her extended support network - heavens knows it's hard enough when you have a strong support network but doing it on your Jack takes a special kind of self sufficiency. If she is still up for it then I think the x ray might be the biggest stumbling block, I certainly wouldn't have wanted one while pregnant. What if you don't get your offer until after she can fly? Few too many barriers there I should think.