When do I need to proof of spouses english on 190 visa

John Fennell

Hi Guys

I'm applying for a 190 visa in NSW. It will be me and my wife on the VISA, I now have all the relevant certificates, VATASSESS and PTE A etc, so am wanting to go ahead and submit my EOI. The only problem we have at the moment is my wifes English test, as she's a Filipina she needs to prove functional english. She can't book into an english test for at least the next month or so, I have no worries that she'll pass as she teaches english.

At what point does this get checked? at the state sponsor stage or in the final application?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

To lodge the 190 application (after being invited to do so) you need to pay the first instalment of the visa application charge (VAC). For a 190 the first instalment is $3600 for the primary applicant and $1800 for a secondary applicant over 18.

A second instalment ($4885) will be payable before the 190 visa is granted for each applicant (over 18) that doesn't have at least functional English.

If your wife has evidence of completing sufficient elementary/secondary or tertiary studies for which the medium of instruction was English she will not need to take an English test and if she does 4.5 average over the 4 IELTS General Training sub tests would qualify her. She will need one or the other before the time of visa decision, or you will have to pay the second installment, previously mentioned.

Looks like the IELTS test then or the PTE-A if we can find one near her. She's an English TEFOL teacher but unfortunately the government don't recognise this. Good to know they don't want it at the very beginning of the application gives us a bit more time to get the results.

Thanks for the advice!