Baby born here to British citizen

hallie3000

So I'm a British citizen and my partner is an Australian citizen with a British passport also (due to his father being British).

We are currently expecting our first child here in Australia

my questions are

1) would the child automatically get an Aussie passport?

2) how would I go about getting the child a British passport?

Thanks in advance

Also do you have to register the child as a british citizen? If so where would you do that?

No you don't. You just apply for the passport. You alone holding a UK passport and being born in the UK are enough to qualify your baby for UK citizenship/passport.

I'd focus on getting the Aus passport sorted first and foremost and then the UK one.

Edited by Guest
added a bit

Your child will have an Australian birth certificate but will automatically be a UK citizen by descent so no need to register anywhere, just get the passport. You will, however, need two different passport pics because they have different size requirements.

No you don't. You just apply for the passport. You alone holding a UK passport and being born in the UK are enough to qualify your baby for UK citizenship/passport.

I'd focus on getting the Aus passport sorted first and foremost and then the UK one.

Me too. In fact unless planning to move back to UK soon, I would skip on the British one for quite a few years.