187 visa Queries from a very hopeful Scottish lass

Rossco

Hi All,

Newbie here and hoping I may get a few clearer answers I understand.

Having seen a job offering sponsorship, I have approached the employer, who now having seen my CV and spoke to me and an immigration lawyer we are all at the point of thinking yes I will be able to get sponsored under the 187 (Regional Skilled Migration Scheme).

Having read numerous facts etc,. Am hoping someone can advise me any advise as even though the immigration lawyer and employer have spoke with me I am in Scotland and they are in Australia so am not clear on a few clarifications.

Please help:-

So they have all my details scanned and rec'd and happy to process. I have been told to sit an IELTS test, now he has stated that when the results are received I then arrange a time to go to Australia and we will then proceed with judgement about 2-3 weeks. (Do I need to be in Australia for judgement??)

He then advises once lodged, the process time/wait is around 8-12 months. During which time I will be holding a bridging visa, which allows me to stay lawfully in Australia (I cannot find anything about a bridging visa and scared to go to soon,). If there is such a visa? Can I work?

I have my home and things to sell/rent organise in Uk so although OMG finding this job and potential sponsor is my forever dream, I don't want to go on a whim if I can do all lodgings and waiting in UK and save more to go, also if I can't work I won't have the funds to manage a possible wait of twelve months.

Thank you for all help anyone may provide.

I am unable to come over on work visa being a young 40 year old haha

Thanks all, Rossi ?

The fact that they're advising you to move to Australia BEFORE applying for your visa sounds dodgy to me. It sounds as though the employer wants you to start work as soon as possible and this is their way of achieving that.

Is the immigration lawyer MARA registered?

Edited by Marisawright

Hi thanks for reply Marisa, yes he is registered, think he has said come over as I have the full school holidays off and I said I would come over to Australia if it was easier to process from there, also the potential sponsor employer I know and have stayed with previously when I was there on WHV and did a couple weeks work in exchange for accommodation so would have came over if it was easier but don't wish to spend the funds I'm managing to save for this dream but maybe is only that,.

Your reply is appreciated

I'm not fully up on the 187 visa, but it's not that different from the 186 which I held. I'm not sure why they've told you to take the IELTS because if you are a UK citizen, you should be exempt.

If you are in Australia on a visa that does not hold a No Further Stay condition (8503) then lodging a valid visa application would trigger the issuance of a bridging visa. The bridging visa sits in the background as long as your existing visa (e.g. visitor visa) is valid. Once your existing visa expires, then the bridging visa takes effect and allows you to remain in Australia until the decision is made on your 187 visa. The bridging visa would state whether youhave work rights or not.

You do not need to be in Australia to lodge the application, but you don't get a bridging visa if you are not. I would be very hesitant about selling up and moving over without having the 187 finalised first because there are always possibilities that it will not be granted and then what do you do.

Thanks so much for reply Maggiemay from what I had read and understood of the visa I thought exempt also, however, a family I know now in Adelaide had to sit also. I have sent a full email to the MA asking for clear requirements and when each are to be done. I am in UK and have own house, car and two jobs so want to lodge and sort as much UK based as possible to allow me to save more. I so want the sponsor but worry I don't have a clear understanding of everything going on.

The employer wishing to nominate me has done so successfully before using the MA, however, difference being previous sponsor was in australia, that's why I offered to go out but too old to work.in interim.

Thank you, really appreciate

Before you can apply for the visa the employer must get the sponsored position approved by the ECB then get the nomination approved by immigration. You can apply anytime after the employer has lodged the nomination but if you are at all uncertain then I would wait until they have that granted.

I will assume you are paying for your own visa application, note that this is non refundable if the nomination fails.

What exactly is the position you are being nominated for? Unless it is one of those that require a positive assessment for the 187 and the assessment needs IELTS then no idea why you would do this as it is not required.

Are you sure you cannot apply independently plenty of people manage to do this at 40? Doing IELTS then makes sense as it can gain you extra points.

Hi Rammygirl and thank you for reply x

Job is an accommodation supervisor and I think between your reply and others I did have a fairly good idea of how the visa worked. Now am awaiting response from the MA as it was him emailing telling me to sit ielts that has confused me. He said Immigration of Australia require you to sit the test. He states that they are using this as a mechanism to filter disqualified persons, i.e. terrorists etc hmmm think I will email potential employer and ask if nomination lodged but don't wish to hassle them as they put me on to the MA they previously used. Thanks, will check out also what you advised about applying on my own, always thought I would require a sponsor.

Edited by Rossco

First off, is this agent employed by you or the company? If by the company, get yourself one to give you the basic advice from YOUR point so you know you are getting the best advice for you, not the company.

I first off was offered an RSMS visa, told it was all fine etc, then found out later the job couldn't be sponsored for (and that was after having an agent telling me it was fine). I was also under the impression that your job would need to be manager level to be sponsored.

I wouldn't be moving over until their part had been approved. It's too big a gamble that can (and has for lots of people) go wrong.

Also, I didn't have to do the IELTS test as an English speaker for my eventual RSMS. I would be questioning lots of what this agent is saying!

Thank you Blossom, am going online to look for an agent that I can deal with direct and get them to help out. Your comments have been really helpful along with all others and helping me sort an importance and real list of do's/don't that I have been querying with myself.

Thank you. So happy I have been told about PIO, so far a fab help to me x

Hi Rammygirl and thank you for reply x

Job is an accommodation supervisor and I think between your reply and others I did have a fairly good idea of how the visa worked. Now am awaiting response from the MA as it was him emailing telling me to sit ielts that has confused me. He said Immigration of Australia require you to sit the test. He states that they are using this as a mechanism to filter disqualified persons, i.e. terrorists etc hmmm think I will email potential employer and ask if nomination lodged but don't wish to hassle them as they put me on to the MA they previously used. Thanks, will check out also what you advised about applying on my own, always thought I would require a sponsor.

IELTS is designed to ensure that people have sufficient English language skills to work and live in Australia. How on earth any agent could claim it is designed to weed out terrorists beats me, and TBH casts doubt on the professinalism of the agent!

Thank you Blossom, am going online to look for an agent that I can deal with direct and get them to help out. Your comments have been really helpful along with all others and helping me sort an importance and real list of do's/don't that I have been querying with myself.

Thank you. So happy I have been told about PIO, so far a fab help to me x

PIO is also useful for finding an agent, there's a few good ones who are members here, @wrussell springs to mind

Brilliant, thanks, have sent an enquiry to a company in Edinburgh so I can deal face to face, Thanks Vicki and everyone that has commented, has been great positive help and much appreciated x

I can recommend go Matilda, I'm applying for a 186 visa and they have been great with me

Brilliant, thanks, have sent an enquiry to a company in Edinburgh so I can deal face to face, Thanks Vicki and everyone that has commented, has been great positive help and much appreciated x

Just make absolutely sure they are MARA registered (and if they do claim they are MARA registered, make sure the individual you deal with is registered - sometimes just one person in the agency is and that's not the same thing).

Thanks once again Marisa, definitely mara registered x

Just make absolutely sure they are MARA registered (and if they do claim they are MARA registered, make sure the individual you deal with is registered - sometimes just one person in the agency is and that's not the same thing).