457 cancelled - impact on PR 189 visa application?

Hi folks,

It looks like I could be let go from my current role (a 457 work sponsored visa) so I am looking at applying for PR via the skilled independent 189 visa.

Does anyone have experience of this specific situation? If I have submitted the PR application but lose the 457, while I am waiting for the PR to come through can I change over to some sort of bridging visa? Would I or my de facto partner (non-Australian) be able to work once the 90 days have passed from the time when the 457 has been cancelled?

If there is a thread on this somewhere already please let me know, couldn't find one for my specific situation, thanks.

Cheers for any advice

If you have your 457 cancelled and have lodged another visa application then you will have to apply for a bridging visa E and usually apply for work rights also. My partner and I had to apply separately but I think you can do it together not 100% about that part

Hi folks,

It looks like I could be let go from my current role (a 457 work sponsored visa) so I am looking at applying for PR via the skilled independent 189 visa.

Does anyone have experience of this specific situation? If I have submitted the PR application but lose the 457, while I am waiting for the PR to come through can I change over to some sort of bridging visa? Would I or my de facto partner (non-Australian) be able to work once the 90 days have passed from the time when the 457 has been cancelled?

If there is a thread on this somewhere already please let me know, couldn't find one for my specific situation, thanks.

Cheers for any advice

If your 457 is cancelled you will end up on bridging visa E which is not ideal. No travel rights or work rights, but you can apply for work rights. Note that your citizenship clock will also reset if the BVE comes into play.

Thanks for the prompt feedback folks. There is also no cost to the Bridging Visa E which is great.

If we do end up on a Bridging Visa E, regarding citizenship... is it only the period of time on the BVE that does not count towards citizenship, or does it completely reset and any time spent on a 457 in Australia previously would be ignored?

Thanks for the prompt feedback folks. There is also no cost to the Bridging Visa E which is great.

If we do end up on a Bridging Visa E, regarding citizenship... is it only the period of time on the BVE that does not count towards citizenship, or does it completely reset and any time spent on a 457 in Australia previously would be ignored?

There is nothing great about bridging visa E, make no mistake about that. It is a terrible visa and needs it be avoided at all costs if you can, sometimes it is unavoidable of course.

Actually your time on BVE will count towards citizenship, it is everything before it that will not count.

What are the reasons you may be let go? Is the company feeling economic pressure? Is your industry suffering from a severe downturn, e.g., mining and oil/gas?

Sorry to sound pessimistic, if you are likely to be let go due to economic conditions, why not consider going back to your home country? Whether PR or not, there is little mining and oil/gas job around here at the moment, so what's the point of becoming PR and sit here seeing your savings eaten away by the high living costs.

I am exactly in the same shoe as you, and have decided the 189 route is not going to be worthwhile as there is no job available. I would rather leave and take the super away with me while I can.

Edited by Dippenhall