Need advise

leanne1287

Can someone please help my dad got taken into hospital 2 nights ago and he is due to fly back to the UK in two weeks. The hospital have told us he won't be going home any time soon. So I need to extend his visa, I've been told we need to apply for a medical treatment visa but there is a lot of info needed, it's also confusing because it sounds like the visa is for if your coming to Australia for treatment. Not for if your taken ill here and need treatment. Has anyone ever had to deal with this.

I'm sorry I can't help with the visa stuff, but I just wanted to say that I hope your Dad is feeling better soon. You might be better posting in the 'Migration Issues' part of the forum. I think it is a bit busier than this one, and there might be more people to see your post.

Can someone please help my dad got taken into hospital 2 nights ago and he is due to fly back to the UK in two weeks. The hospital have told us he won't be going home any time soon. So I need to extend his visa, I've been told we need to apply for a medical treatment visa but there is a lot of info needed, it's also confusing because it sounds like the visa is for if your coming to Australia for treatment. Not for if your taken ill here and need treatment. Has anyone ever had to deal with this.

I am not sure where you are looking but you need to look at the http://www.border.gov.au website for the 602 visa.

It states that it can be applied for inside or outside Australia and this is also clear on the appplication form itself, so I am puzzled as to why you think it is only for people coming to Australia for treatment.

I have just had a read through the entire application form and it all looks very straightforward to fill in. Why don't you just print it off, work through it and if there is something that is difficult come back with the specifics.

602 is what you want https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/602-

You need to read more in depth about the visa, it's a general all roun medical visa an allows applicants to apply onshore or ofshore. Ofshore applicants would be likely seeking medical consultations/surgeries in Australia where as people applying onshore would be in state of medical emergencies.

This visa allows you to:

• stay in Australia for medical treatment
  • study for up to three months, unless you are younger than 18 years old and your circumstances change while you are in Australia
  • travel to Australia either:
    • once to enter the country until the treatment plan is completed, or
    • as many times as you want while your visa is valid.

Set up and immi account and send off the application online with the requested document information on that page, it really is that simple.

Edited by Chillers