Cpa assessment

March2015

Hi, I hope someone will be able to help me.

I am am a student of CIMA and I have completed the certificate (foundation) level and two operational level modules. The modules match up with the mandatory competency areas for anzsco 2211. I also hav an undergraduate degree in sociology.

Is it possible to get a positive skills assessment with 7 CIMA modules (without completing CIMA qualification)?

To get a positive skills assessment your qualification needs to be of a similar level to an Australian degree, part qualified CIMA is not degree level I am afraid.

Even if it did, you are not going to look great to employers over in Australia with no work experience (post qualification) and an incomplete qualification which will not be recognised everywhere.

Thanks for replying. I have a degree in another field not accounctancy. In the cpa requirement page it does not specify that the degree needs to be in accountancy. I started doing CIMA few years ago as my experience and qualification was at a mismatch. I have 10 years experience in finance. I think the knowledge areas required are covered in the first few modules of CIMA but I could be wrong

Thanks for replying. I have a degree in another field not accounctancy. In the cpa requirement page it does not specify that the degree needs to be in accountancy. I started doing CIMA few years ago as my experience and qualification was at a mismatch. I have 10 years experience in finance. I think the knowledge areas required are covered in the first few modules of CIMA but I could be wrong

Your degree will not help with the CPA assessment as it is not finance/accounting, they will assess what you have done towards CIMA and you do not have a qualification here.

The first criteria they list is "a qualification that is assessed by CPA Australia as equivalent to at least an Australian Bachelor degree", you have not finished the CIMA qualification and part qualification would not be seen as degree level.

I am also afraid that work experience is post qualification only and I lost points here, I was working as a fully qualified accountant (in terms of responsibilities) however as I had not finished my qualification I was not allowed to claim points for this.

Your degree will not help with the CPA assessment as it is not finance/accounting, they will assess what you have done towards CIMA and you do not have a qualification here.

The first criteria they list is "a qualification that is assessed by CPA Australia as equivalent to at least an Australian Bachelor degree", you have not finished the CIMA qualification and part qualification would not be seen as degree level.

I am also afraid that work experience is post qualification only and I lost points here, I was working as a fully qualified accountant (in terms of responsibilities) however as I had not finished my qualification I was not allowed to claim points for this.

I don't think that the degree needs to be in finance / accounting - the only stipulation is that it needs to be the equivalent to an Australian Bachelor degree.

It also states that you need to meet all mandatory competency areas which can happen mid qualification.

For me I did not meet the mandatory requirements in my undergraduate degree which was still recognised as a degree, and then my skilled employment was recognised from when I had completed the operational level exams for CIMA.

I don't think that the degree needs to be in finance / accounting - the only stipulation is that it needs to be the equivalent to an Australian Bachelor degree.

It also states that you need to meet all mandatory competency areas which can happen mid qualification.

For me I did not meet the mandatory requirements in my undergraduate degree which was still recognised as a degree, and then my skilled employment was recognised from when I had completed the operational level exams for CIMA.

What I said above was based on my experience, so if it is wrong sorry for giving bad information!

I was under the impression that as it was CPA assessing the qualification it had to be finance base, but happy to be wrong if it helps someone else!

Should have caveated that I do not have specific confirmation on this and is my assumption; my undergraduate degree was Accounting and Law but all of the electives were law. Combined with no syllabus (I did a stat Dec and included transcript and certificate) I would be very surprised if I passed the mandatory requirements at that point.

However, looking at the skilled employment assessment again I believe the only requirement is for it to be post degree, not mandatory finance study for migration assessment.

Both mgreaves and I were finished CIMA when going through assessment, so might be worth speaking with a MARA agent

I can confirm that the undergraduate degree does not need to be in accounting. I applied to CPA with an undergraduate degree in philosophy when I was only part ACA qualified and I had no issues getting a positive skills assessment.

I cant help with work experience points though.

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Is there anyone who has cleared skill assessment for NOC code

2211 (General Accountant) with just B.Com Pass and MBA Finance (both from

India-DU) qualifications?

I have seen lots of posts which indicates that

only CAs gets positive skill assessment, and now I am doubtful whether to

proceed with my application with only B.Com and MBA.

I would appreciate

if anyone can help me clearing my doubts.

Thanks