Help - sponsorship question

lastev

Hi there

I'm new to here. Any advice or info would be very much appreciated. My family dearly would like to relocate to Australia (although we have not ruled out New Zealand but we think there would be more work in Aus). We have found out that my occupation (accountancy) is due for the chop on the occupations list - although it is academic anyway as I have not worked in three years to bring up my children. My husbands occupation is not shown on the list either and is difficult to label within any occupation lists. He is an offshore installation manager on an oil rig. We do not make enough "points" to qualify for permanent residency. So from what we understand the only option would be for my husband to find an employer sponsor???

The question would be can a family member sponsor me and my family? I have a first cousin in Australia (Australian citizen). I also have a first cousin in New Zealand and my Father's sister also lives in New Zealand.

Thank you

Family sponsorship can give you more points but only if your skills are on the list in the first place. Even with an employer sponsor you have to have a skill on the CSOL.

I would check with a migration agent as there maybe a closely related occupation your husband could pass a skills assessment for, otherwise I don't think there is any option for you to migrate or even work in Australia or NZ.

Your relatives aren't closely related enough to sponsor you.

To get sponsored by an employer, your oh would still need an occupation that's on the CSOL. Besides, that sponsorship would be for a temp job only (457 visa).

A 457 visa is a great choice for someone wanting to experience Australia for a few years, but it's a risky choice for a family. For one thing, you are not entitled to benefits (e.g. child care subsidies, free schooling) in some states, and that can make it very expensive. Also, your oh would be dependent to that employer for four years: if the company restructured and his job disappeared, or the company went bust, the whole family would have 90 days to leave the country. Immigration won't care if your children are in the middle of exams or if you have a house to sell - you have to go.

A first cousin is an eligible sponsor.

As posted above, family sponsorship helps give additional points but you still need to have an eligible occupation on the SOL (Accountant is). The downside is that the 489 visa is temporary and you then can apply for PR after meeting additional criteria (living in a regional area for 2 years and at least 1-year of full-time work in a regional area). So it's a more complex approach. If you want to pursue a visa, I'd suggest you speak with a migration agent to see what your best options may be.