Self employed visa options are there any?

clarebear

Hi we are a family of 4 and want to move to Oz asap! My question for anyone who can help is about visas I'm so confused. Is there a visa for people who are self employed? My partner's trade is a self employed floor and wall tiler. He's been self employed for fifteen years. Do we have to go through skillselect? Although I'm under the impression it would be easier to try for a job sponsorship based on my profession (social worker) how do we proceed based on my partners trade? Surely there is a need for tillers I'm told most are

self employed in Oz? Thanks anyone who can help :cute:

I'm a self employed electrician and we have just been granted our visa. Being self employed makes no difference to the application other than the evidence gathering for the skills assessment. Haven't got a clue of his trade is on the SOL but that is where you need to look and a 189 permenant residency visa is always the best to aim for as it's permenant and is into reliant on your own skills and whether you have the correct points. If it isn't on the SOL you can look at the CSOL which would mean you will require state sponsorship or I think a relative sponsor who has a PR would also be ok on the CSOL. Your best bet is to contact a MARA registered agent and go through it with them, they will do a points test and know all the various options.

There are other ways of the trade is on neither list but they require a large initial outlay and massive risk such as buying a Business or a franchise. I've seen these advertised but if it were me I would be very wary as I think that again would be a temp visa and could end in losing lots of money and having to come back.

Bing self employed has no bearing.

The first to look at are the two occupation lists known as SOL and CSOL. Look to see if his occupation is on one of them. If it is on the SOL, then a 189 may be possible. If it is only on the CSOL the either business or state sponsorship is required. State is far preferable and you would need to check the state lists.

You also need to calculate points. You need a minimum of 60. Many people find they need to supplement their points by claiming points for English. This requires undertaking exams in English such as ILETS.

The only headache with self employment is it makes gathering documents for the skills assessment more complex. As a result, it may be worth speaking to and appointing a good registered migration agent.

I would not recomend business sponsored. This is normally a temporary visa valid for only 4 years and comes with a lot of draw backs.