Spousal Visa

forbes

hi, all,

i am a newbie in this forum and i have lots of questions regarding spousal visa to australia. just in case, this is not a scam but a true love story of a foreigner and an aussie PR. i feel that there is a need to check on the procedure. my girl and i are getting engaged and she wants me to stay put in australia.

i want to know:

1. after our legal engagement in australia, how long will it take for me to be granted a spousal visa to live and work here?

thanks all for genuine advice.

cheers!

Its not that simple. Please read all the pages, links and so on to inform yourself. Also download and print off the partner visa migration booklet which can be found by reading the link I've given you.

This is the on shore partner visa. You seem to indicate you are in Aus already. What visa are you on currently please? And how long have you been in Aus on it?

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/801-

There is also a PMV (if you are off shore). https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300- You would on this visa then apply for a partner visa once married.

thanks bro snifter, i am currently on a holiday visa for 3 months.

Its not that simple. Please read all the pages, links and so on to inform yourself. Also download and print off the partner visa migration booklet which can be found by reading the link I've given you.

This is the on shore partner visa. You seem to indicate you are in Aus already. What visa are you on currently please? And how long have you been in Aus on it?

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/801-

There is also a PMV (if you are off shore). https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300- You would on this visa then apply for a partner visa once married.

dear all, from the links bro snifter provide, it's more likely that i will be granted a 9 months visa initially. i intend to take up a course as an electrician. i used to be and electronic engineer but how long the course will take, i am still finding out. any bros and sis have experience in this? please advise, many thanks!

dear all, from the links bro snifter provide, it's more likely that i will be granted a 9 months visa initially. i intend to take up a course as an electrician. i used to be and electronic engineer but how long the course will take, i am still finding out. any bros and sis have experience in this? please advise, many thanks!

You can't apply for, and won't be granted the 9 months visa if you apply in Australia. That is a Prospective Marriage Visa for people intending to marry and migrate here and must be applied for offshore - outside of Australia.

You can't apply for, and won't be granted the 9 months visa if you apply in Australia. That is a Prospective Marriage Visa for people intending to marry and migrate here and must be applied for offshore - outside of Australia.

i will be back in my home country after i get engaged, so i will apply from there. or can i go straight into partner visa(subclass 820 and 801) while in australia but i read that it will take 12 to 15 months for processing time.

i will be back in my home country after i get engaged, so i will apply from there. or can i go straight into partner visa(subclass 820 and 801) while in australia but i read that it will take 12 to 15 months for processing time.

You can apply off shore for a PMV and depending on which country you are from (and apply from) it will take about 10-14 months to grant. You can then move to Aus and have 9 months in which to get married. Once married you would then apply for the on shore spouse visa (which takes about 12-15 months to come through).

Can I ask how long you and your girlfriend have been together.

we have been together for short 2 weeks, initially, i asked her to join me back in my home country but she insisted that she wants to stay in australia and asked me to stay put.

it's love that is holding us together and i want this relationship to work out.

bro snifter, thanks for the info. my concern is that when i am here i need to work and i can't jolly well fly in and out on a 3 months visa.

You can apply off shore for a PMV and depending on which country you are from (and apply from) it will take about 10-14 months to grant. You can then move to Aus and have 9 months in which to get married. Once married you would then apply for the on shore spouse visa (which takes about 12-15 months to come through).

hi, all,

i am a newbie in this forum and i have lots of questions regarding spousal visa to australia. just in case, this is not a scam but a true love story of a foreigner and an aussie PR. i feel that there is a need to check on the procedure. my girl and i are getting engaged and she wants me to stay put in australia.

i want to know:

1. after our legal engagement in australia, how long will it take for me to be granted a spousal visa to live and work here?

thanks all for genuine advice.

cheers!

Hello,

You need to be outside Australia to lodge a prospective marriage visa.

You may also be eligible for an offshore spouse visa. You are able to lodge this visa BEFORE you get married, provided you get married DURING the processing time, which is currently 12 - 15 months. You do not need to be living together but need to show that you are a genuine couple and ongoing couple. You must show that you intend to marry and you must marry outside Australia.

Joy

If you apply for a PMV off shore you can't work in Aus (unless you are eligible for another type of visa while you wait).

If you are 30 or under a WHV may be something to look at if you want to be in Aus and working while you wait for a PMV. You need to be off shore for a PMV grant iirc though.

thanks all! but i want to know if it is better to marry in australia or back in my home country? from all your comments, it seem better to marry in australia. thanks again all bros and sis.

I'm somewhat ignorant of the partner visa's ... but don't you have to have to meet some criteria regarding the longevity of your relationship?

i think this depend on individual, i have known couples dating for 10 years and end up in divorce. my relationship is short 2 weeks but a very passionate one. we just got that feel that we are made for each other.

I'm somewhat ignorant of the partner visa's ... but don't you have to have to meet some criteria regarding the longevity of your relationship?

i think this depend on individual, i have known couples dating for 10 years and end up in divorce. my relationship is short 2 weeks but a very passionate one. we just got that feel that we are made for each other.

Immigration might not see it that way. I really don't have a clear picture of what your plan is but whatever you do, make sure you can meet the requirements of the visa being applied for. Else you are throwing money away. Right now, I think a partner visa is beyond you. A PMV might be the way forward or if you are under the age limit, a WHV, then see how you go as a couple and apply for another visa later on.

i think i will approach immigration for more professional advice, it's not that you guys are no good but i am confused too. i dun see anything wrong with getting married in a short while but suspicion is likely from immigration. we shall see.

Immigration might not see it that way. I really don't have a clear picture of what your plan is but whatever you do, make sure you can meet the requirements of the visa being applied for. Else you are throwing money away. Right now, I think a partner visa is beyond you. A PMV might be the way forward or if you are under the age limit, a WHV, then see how you go as a couple and apply for another visa later on.

Immigration are not the people to call to seek migration advice. You need to contact a reputable MARA registered migration agent to see what your options are. Although if you read all the PMV and partner visa booklet you can see if you'd be in the ballpark for any of those.

in my home country, we do have migration agents, is it any better in australia? thanks bro snifter.

Immigration are not the people to call to seek migration advice. You need to contact a reputable MARA registered migration agent to see what your options are. Although if you read all the PMV and partner visa booklet you can see if you'd be in the ballpark for any of those.

If you go for a de facto visa generally you need to prove at least 12 months cohabiting, though if there are good reasons for being apart cases are now going through with less than 12 months I believe.

If you are married, or have registered your relationship, or are going for a PMV (Prospective Marriage) the rules are different -PMV you just have to prove you have met, if married/registered you have to show the relationship is genuine but you don't have any requirement to prove you have lived together before the marriage. So you can marry on Tuesday while living at seoarate addresses, and apply for the visa on wednesday. Its proof of the relationship that counts.

If you intend to lodge a partner visa in the next month or so, I absolutely agree with the others that you should make sure to use a very good MARA-registered migration agent as you will face an uphill battle. Regardless of the feelings you and your partner have for each other, you will need to convince DIBP of that. They see far too many sham relationships so the burden of proof is on you to provide solid evidence that your relationship is genuine and ongoing, not for them to prove that it's not. People who have been together years have had refusals due to lack of quality evidence.